[BCNnet] Support of the birding community

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:59:19 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_01EF_01C3D619.852C3820

I feel that many members of the birding community- and other =
communities-  are actively supporting the FPD's core mission, which is =
"to preserve, protect and restore the natural land".  How any group =
feels it can recommend that the FPD overlook that mission statement is =
beyond me. The land belongs to the taxpayers, not to any special =
interest group and I feel it is important to stress that fact.

As far as this proposal being a "simple message", that is also beyond =
me.  This proposal micromanages every aspect of a plan that I consider a =
dangerous precedent.  My comments on the proposal are shown below in =
capital letters.=20

I recommend that everyone write to his or her commissioner and to Supt. =
Bylina about the mission of the FPD.  The idea of waiting until May or =
June is absurd to me as we all know the dog people are in the faces of =
these same folks every day.   The subject is ripe for discussion NOW, =
not in five or six months.

And I feel that the idea that anyone would say it's OK to develop 68 of =
these dog runs defies common sense. =20

Judy Mellin

Dog-Friendly Areas in the Cook County Forest Preserve District System:

Recommendations from the Chicago Ornithological Society Passed by the =
COS Board December 8, 2003 Introduction One dog-friendly area has been =
designated at the Beck Lake Forest Preserve in Des Plaines in the =
absence of any formal guidelines created by the Cook County Forest =
Preserve District and without input from the general public.

OF COURSE, WE KNOW THAT THE CORRECT NAME IS THE FOREST PRESERVE DISTRICT =
OF COOK COUNTY- FPDCC.

Dog-friendly areas (DFAs) in other municipal systems around the U.S.=20
generally are designated areas where dog owners can bring their pets and =
allow them to roam freely off-leash.

In many areas, dog owners form well-organized groups that set-up the =
DFA, maintain the area, and set rules and regulations for use, such as:

- mandatory cleaning up of pet waste=20
- keeping dogs on-leash from the car to the DFA=20
- requiring that all dogs have required vaccinations=20
- not permitting puppies under 12 weeks within the DFA=20
- insisting that all children be accompanied by an adult while in a DFA=20
- banning vicious dogs and/or fight dog breeds or requiring muzzles on =
dogs with a history of biting=20
- provide trash bags and cans for pet waste and other litter.

Before the Board of the Cook County Forest Preserve District approves =
any more dog-friendly areas, the Chicago Ornithological Society would =
like to CCFPD Commissioners to consider the following recommendations to =
make certain that dog-friendly areas are placed where they will not have =
a negative impact on the environment or other user groups.

Because the Cook County Forest Preserve District has relatively large =
landholdings, COS would not oppose the establishment of dog-friendly =
areas under certain conditions.

I WAS TEMPTED TO STOP READING RIGHT HERE.  TO RESTATE THE OBVIOUS, THE =
PROBLEM IS NOT THE DOG RUNS PER SE BUT THE RESTRICTED USE OF ANY PUBLIC =
LAND (ALTHOUGH THE STATEMENTS AT THE END OF THIS PROPOSAL SEEM TO =
CONTRADICT THE REST OF IT!)

CCFPD Dog-friendly Area Recommendations I.  Standardized Application =
Process for DFAs A.  The CCFPD should establish a standard process by =
which dog owner groups may propose a DFA and apply for management of =
that area.

B.  The DFA application process should require a reasonable period for =
public comment and the comment period should be well-publicized to the =
environmental community as well as the general public.  Real =
consideration should be given to the concerns of the community by CCFPD =
staff and Commissioners before a DFA is established.

C.  AND WHO WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR COORDINATING THE EFFORTS TO OPPOSE =
THESE?

WHY GO THROUGH A WHOLE CHARADE?

C.  The Commissioner for the area where a new DFA is proposed must be =
consulted and give his or her consent before the application can be =
moved up to consideration by the Recreation Committee.

D.  The full CCFPD should approve every DFA.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THERE WILL BE ONE ON EVERY BLOCK.

II.  Size, Spacing and Location of DFAs A.  The CCFPD should establish =
the total number of acres within its holdings that could be set aside as =
DFAs.

The CCFPD has within its land management guidelines specified that no =
more than 12% of its holdings (currently at about 68,000 acres) be =
developed for recreation, COS recommends that no more than 0.5% or 340 =
acres of CCFPD be designated as DFAs.

B.  Individual DFAs should not exceed five acres.

OK, SO 340/5=3D THE POSSIBILITY OF 68 OF THESE THINGS!  GEE, I'M SURE =
THE FPD HAS ENOUGH POLICE TO, WELL, POLICE 68 DOG RUNS!

C.  The CCFPD should insure that no more than one DFA be placed within =
any single forest preserve district property and should make an effort =
to insure that DFAs are well-spaced throughout Cook County,=20

IF THESE THINGS WOULD BE ONE PER 1000 ACRES, THEY WOULD RUN OUT OF FPD =
DISTRICTS BEFORE THEY COULD PLACE THEM ALL!

D.  DFAs should be close to established parking lots.

E.  DFAs should not be permitted in or near CCFPD properties with high =
human use.

SO NOW IT BECOMES EVEN MORE "CHALLENGING" TO ALLOCATE 68 OF THESE=20

F.  DFAs should be located away from heavily used hiking, biking and =
equestrian trails.

G.  Signs should be erected within parking lots near DFAs and along =
trails leading to DFAs to remind dog owners to keep their pets leashed =
until they reach the DFA and to clean up pet waste.

H.  Rules for DFA use should be prominently posted in parking lots near =
DFAs and within the DFA.

AND WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR ALL THIS SIGNAGE?

III.  Environmental Criteria for DFA Sites A.  The CCFPD should =
establish environmental criteria for the location of DFAs, which should =
include the following prohibitions.

DFAs should NOT be permitted in:

1) designated natural areas, such as Illinois Nature Preserves, or their =
buffer zones;=20
2) areas where significant habitat restoration is being undertaken or is =
planned;

 WELL, THAT ELIMINATES 55,000 ACRES FROM CONSIDERATION SINCE THESE ARE =
NATURAL AREAS AND, PER DEBBIE ANTLITZ'S ASSESSMENT, ARE SUITABLE FOR =
RESTORATION=20

3) wooded or savanna areas;=20
4) other areas that contain rare, threatened or endangered plant, insect =
or animal species or that have the significant potential to host such =
species (large grassland tracts, for example, where raptors, such as the =
endangered Northern Harrier, may nest or winter, or the threatened =
Loggerhead Shrike may nest);=20
5) within 500 feet of aquatic environments including, but not limited to =
wetlands, marshes, fens, bogs, seeps, ephemeral spring wetlands, =
streams, creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes, potholes, poorly drained areas.

C.  A full environmental impact study of the effects of introducing =
unleashed dogs should be conducted by CCFPD's biological staff prior to =
approval of a DFA.  CCFPD Commissioner should abide by the =
recommendations of staff with regard to the impact of dogs in a proposed =
DFA.

ONCE AGAIN, WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING TO COME FROM TO HIRE/TRAIN THESE =
BIOLOGISTS?

D.  The CCFPD should assess its holdings and create a map that clearly =
indicates the areas where DFAs would be permissible.

WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO THE ACTUAL PARKING LOTS=20

E.  Regular (at least annual) monitoring and assessment of the =
environmental impact of DFAs on surrounding CCFPD property by CCFPD =
biological staff should be required.

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!  IF THE FPD DOES NOT HAVE BIOLOGISTS TO HELP US =
MONITOR RESTORATION, THEN HOW WILL THEY MONITOR DOG RUNS?

F.  If regular monitoring or complaints from the public reveal problems =
associated with a DFA or its surrounding area, such as harassment of =
wildlife or human visitors, excessive pet waste not picked up or habitat =
degradation, the respective dog owners group should be given three =
warnings to fix the problem.  If the problem is not alleviated, DFA =
designation for the site should be revoked.

G.  If a rare, threatened or endangered plant, animal or insect species =
begins to inhabit or regularly use a DFA, its designation as a dog use =
area should be revoked.

AND WHO IS GOING TO MONITOR 68 AREAS FOR THIS, AS IF THERE WOULD BE A =
POSSIBILITY OF A RARE ORCHID APPEARING WITH CHASING DOGS RUNNING OVER =
THE AREAS!

IV.  Access to DFAs A.  Access to DFAs should be open to all CCFPD =
visitors.

If DFAs are fenced, there should be easy access to the fenced-in area =
for all visitors.

BACK TO THE FENCE ISSUE.  IF THEY'RE NOT FENCED, WHAT KEEPS THE DOGS IN =
AND "REAL" WILDLIFE (AS IN COYOTES AND SKUNKS, NOT PARTY ANIMALS) OUT?

B.  Signs should be erected in parking lots near and on trails =
approaching DFAs warning visitors that unleashed dogs are present.

V.  Enforcement A.  CCFPD police should regularly patrol DFAs and the =
area surrounding them and should issue leash and pet waste pick-up =
violation tickets with a monetary fine attached.

THIS MAKES ALL THE REST OF IT ABSURD.  ACCORDING TO THE PIONEER PRESS =
SPECIAL REPORT ON FPD, THERE ARE ONLY 65 REGULAR POLICE OFFICERS! MAYBE =
THEY SHOULD GIVE UP DRUG ENFORCEMENT IN FAVOR OF POOP PATROLS!

B.  Dog owners who have received three tickets within a one year period =
will be banned from all CCFPD DFAs for the period of one year.  Dog =
owners who have been banned from DFA usage and are found within a DFA =
during their probation period should receive a significant monetary =
penalty and be banned for a five year period.

Other DFA Issues Not Addressed in COS Recommendations COS is a =
recreational and educational bird watching organization with a strong =
mission and history of bird conservation.

Because COS's concerns about DFAs center around their impact on birds, =
bird habitat and bird watching, our recommendations do not address =
issues the CCFPD may be advised to, such as:

- the organizational structure of dog-owner groups, their finances, =
projected longevity and succession plans=20
- specifics about CCFPD police enforcement of leash laws outside the DFA =
(i.e., from the car to the DFA)

- maintenance and landscaping of DFAs=20
- trash removal, sanitation and mandatory pick-up of pet waste by owners =
or penalties for not doing so=20
- liability issues associated with more dogs being present off-leash on =
CCFPD properties=20

-LIABILITIES OF DOGS ATTACKING OTHER DOGS/OWNERS (OR OWNERS ATTACKING =
OTHER OWNERS) INSIDE THE DESIGNATED AREA=20

-LIABILITIES OF FPD WHEN LICENSED DOGS GET THROUGH HOLES IN FENCES=20
- fees charged to dog owners in order to cover the costs of establishing =
and maintaining DFAs such as day-use fees, dog tags (similar to tags =
required for equestrians) or fines for off-leash or pet waste pick-up =
violations=20
- whether DFAs should be fenced or unfenced and if fenced, what material =
should be used.

AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE, NO FENCE, NO FEES, NO FUSS!  HOW IN THE WORLD CAN =
THERE BE A FIVE ACRE DOG RUN -OR REALLY ANY SIZE DOG RUN-WITHOUT A =
FENCE?????

OK, NOW TO LAKE COUNTY.  I WENT TO ROUND LAKE BEACH ON CHRISTMAS AND =
PASSES THE ONE AT FAIRFIELD RD.  AND RT.  137 (MAYBE THE COMMUNITY IS =
LAKEWOOD?)

I DID NOT HAVE MY CAMERA WITH ME BUT I MAY GO BACK IF NECESSARY.  THIS =
RUN WAS RIGHT AT THE CORNER OF THESE BUSY ROADS AND IT IS LITERALLY A =
PARKING LOT.

I WOULD GUESS IT IS UNDER THREE ACRES AND IS A GRAVEL LOT WITH NO TREES, =
GRASSES, WOODS, ETC., THAT COOK COUNTY DOG PEOPLE ARE INSISTING ON.  I =
ONLY NOTICED IT BECAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY CARS THERE AND I COULDN'T =
IMAGINE WHAT WAS OPEN ON CHRISTMAS!  THE SIGNAGE IS VERY GOOD AND =
CLEARLY STATES THAT AN ACCESS PERMIT IS REQUIRED.  BY THE WAY, THEIR =
SIGNAGE CALLS THESE "DOG EXERCISE AREAS".

  ----- Original Message -----=20