[BCNnet] Update re:Cook County dog parks

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:04:48 EST

-------------------------------1073531088

I wonder about the efficiency of birders spending a lot of time arguing about
dog park issues others than those related to protecting habitat and species.
And that boils down to siting, monitoring and enforcement.

Since birds can fly around and over fences, they probably are a neutral
factor to positive factor for birds (a lot of species use fences as perches for
hunting and singing, many glean insects from webs within the fences and some
raptors like to flush prey right into a fence so they can trap it more easily) and
birders. The cost is not our problem.

I'm usually more holistic in approaching land use problems, but on this
issue, the simpler, the better. Also, I figure it's up to the dog owners to
convince the CCFPD about all the thorny questions of liability, cost, construction,
etc. Why should birders help them get to answers about something we'd rather
they not suceed in establishing? The harder it is for them, the fewer dog parks
that will be successful.

And I can still say all this after a nasty, too close encounter with a pit
bull mix outside on farm house on the edge of the Kankakee Airport while on the
Christimas Bird Count. I backed the dog off, but afterward, I understood a lot
better that this breed could and would readily maul and kill someone.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com

In a message dated 1/7/2004 4:23:07 PM Central Standard Time, csnp@uic.edu