[BCNnet] Additional info re Cook Co. dog parks

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:09:34 -0800

Please explain what you mean by your "FYI:  The Beck Lake DFA cost the FP
zero dollars."  I think many would be interested in the facts behind this
statement.

Judy Mellin

----- Original Message -----
From: <Rbdoeker@aol.com>
To: <bcnnet@ece.iit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:56 PM
Subject: [BCNnet] Additional info re Cook Co. dog parks

> I met with the Cook County FP General Superintendent Steve Bylina this
morning (along with others from the Sierra Club).  There is a moratorium on
more dog parks right now, at least within the FP staff.  The next
consideration ---excluding whatever actions Suffredin may prompt-- will be
in the summer at the end of the 1-year evaluation of the Beck Lake DFA.

> In the spring --closer to the end of the evaluation period-- we need to
send letters to the General Superintendent with specific feedback.  (You
oculd send one now but it would be more effective in May.)

> FYI:  I got no sense that Bylina wants dog parks and he specifically
stated he personally doesn't believe that areas of the FP should be fenced
off for private use.  That said, he inherited one designed on the assumption
that unleashed dogs do have to be segregated from the general public.

> Also FYI:  The Beck Lake DFA cost the FP zero dollars.
>
> Randi Doeker
> Chicago
>

> In a message dated 1/6/2004 3:11:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com writes:

> > Tomorrow at the Cook County Board meeting, Commissioner Suffredin will
introduce a motion to put a moratorium on any new dog parks in the Cook
County Forest Preserves, to allow for further public discussion and
evaluation of the Beck Lake pilot project..  This will allow time for all
the issues to be sorted out and a good approach to be developed.   Can you
send an e-mail to your County Commissioner requesting that they support this
resolution?