[BCNnet] Additional info re Cook Co. dog parks

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:56:13 -0500

I met with the Cook County FP General Superintendent Steve Bylina this morning (along with others from the Sierra Club).  There is a moratorium on more dog parks right now, at least within the FP staff.  The next consideration ---excluding whatever actions Suffredin may prompt-- will be in the summer at the end of the 1-year evaluation of the Beck Lake DFA.

In the spring --closer to the end of the evaluation period-- we need to send letters to the General Superintendent with specific feedback.  (You oculd send one now but it would be more effective in May.)

FYI:  I got no sense that Bylina wants dog parks and he specifically stated he personally doesn't believe that areas of the FP should be fenced off for private use.  That said, he inherited one designed on the assumption that unleashed dogs do have to be segregated from the general public.

Also FYI:  The Beck Lake DFA cost the FP zero dollars.

Randi Doeker
Chicago