[BCNnet] A bird filled garden

stephen packard spackard@mindspring.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:38:01 -0600

My experience is like Donald's. I'd add that it's much richer to my spirit
see the birds doing nature -- rather than feeder stuff.

The birds that fill my wild gardens are the goldfinches plus many species of
sparrows, wrens, kinglets, thrushes, and the occasional
Connecticut warbler or sora or whatever. Sometimes a red-shouldered hawk
spends a long time pouncing into these wild gardens (catching
grasshoppers?), and they
also attract frogs, toads, 20 species of butterflies and all manner of other
wonder.

Tree sparrows and junkos come by from time to time all winter.

Of course it's fun to watch the flowers too, and how the little ecosystem
changes over time.

Even when I lived in apartments, I always negotiated a little spot from the
landlord, or found some other property nearby where the owner was happy to
have someone do a bit of "tasteful" wild gardening. I recommend it.

S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Donald R. Dann <mailto:donniebird@yahoo.com>
To: ILbirds (E-mail) <mailto:ILbirds@yahoogroups.com>  ; BCN (E-mail)
<mailto:BCNnet@ece.iit.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:50 AM
Subject: [BCNnet] A bird filled garden

My front perennial garden is currently being overwhelmed by American
Goldfinches.

In a relatively small area I'm seeing between 75 to 100 birds gorging on the
seeds of Coneflower, Northern Dropseed, Ironwood, Beebalm, Mountain Mint,
Blazing Star, Anemone, Hyssop, and several species of Milkweed, Aster,
Goldenrod, and other native plants I put in to replace my turf grass two
years ago.

During this time my conventional feeders aren't getting half the attention
the plants are.  Besides being this incredible bird magnet, the garden has
required less watering, lower landscaping cost, no fertilizing, and many
other cares which I had to give the old lawn; to say nothing of the fact
that it's been far more beautiful.

Donald R. Dann
60 Ravinoaks Lane
Highland Park, IL 60035