[BCNnet] more on Cook County hearings

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:27:31 -0600

         Bird conservationists have something important to praise the FPD
for this year.

          I think we have seen the FPD's best work on their big bird
conservation projects at Orland, Bartel and most recently Spring Creek
Valley.  Over the past two years, these restorations have dramatically
increased numbers of grassland birds at all three locations.  Restoring
grassland bird populations is of the highest conservation priority in our
region.  The FPD and its partners have engaged in best-practice habitat
restoration as well as community outreach to develop public support for the
restoration actions.  They have put the newly created land management teams
to very good use at these sites, clearing invasives to improve habitat. At
all three sites, the results are clear in the increased numbers of rare
birds using the habitat. (Some highlights: at Spring Creek, sandhill cranes
nested, and at Bartel, a pair of harriers spent an awful lot of the spring
and early fall so we have our fingers crossed for next year; numbers of
Henslow's are up at Bartel and Orland, and bobolinks returned to Spring Creek.)

         There will be many people at the hearings from different
constituencies with things to complain about, often with good reason.  I
urge people who speak on behalf of bird conservation issues to include in
their comments an acknowledgement of the really fine work that the district
has done on these very important projects.  They went out on a limb to make
these things happen, and they deserve our thanks for it.

Feel free to give me a call if you are planning to testify and would like
more info about these projects.

Judy Pollock
Bird Conservation Projects Manager
Audubon Chicago Region