[BCNnet] Private Use of Public Land

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:12:08 -0800

I think what Jane has to say really summarizes the nature of the problem.
The "conflict" is not between birders and dog owners but over the idea of
taking public land private and I do feel that private is the correct term to
use.  These people want exclusive use of public land.

None of us is trying to say that dogs don't belong on forest preserves any
more than we want people to say that restorationists don't belong there.  We
want all forest preserves open to all who wish to use them and obey the FPD
rules.

Joe states, "One difference in DuPage is that (currently) there is no
registration or fee and people without dogs can use the area if they want
to." Maybe Joe is not aware that we have areas already in Cook County that
are just what he describes called Dog Training Areas and none of us is
quibbling about those.  Alan Anderson and I have birded this area in Hoffman
Estates and had no problem.  Duane Heaton and I have been there, too, with
the same results.  The difference is that this area and others in the county
are open to all. To me, the minute we put up fences and impose fees, we take
this land out of public use.

As Jane so eloquently states, "We need not to be so quick to compromise what
little natural land is left or we'll compromise them right out of
existence."  Where do we draw the line?  Again, I think we have to get past
the issue of dog owners and focus on the issue of any exclusive use by any
group of public land.  I don't think that anyone should pick and choose one
exclusive use over another.  Once one special interest group gets its way,
it will be harder and harder to close the door to others.

In the most recent article about the state of the Cook County Forest
Preserve, it was stated that 40 million people use the preserves every year.
That puts the density at a very high level and taking any land out of public
use will only increase the demand on what's left.

Stephen is right in that we need to mobilize on this issue.  If you have not
had a chance yet, please check out http://thatcherdog.com to see how
organized this group is.

For folks on the Stewards' List who may not have seen this, here's a copy of
the original letter and a reposting of the article that got this whole
discussion opened.  Alan Anderson saw a problem and decided to let others
know about it.