[BCNnet] for the birds.. Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!

Karolyn Beebe Karolyn Beebe" <keedo@merr.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 09:11:28 -0500

What a trip! How many of the passerines we're seeing flew the Caribbean Sea? How many of those are headed for N. Canada! The article linked below says almost 200 landbird and over 40% of waterfowl species breed in the boreal forest and wetlands of Canada and Alaska. It's about a study by the Boreal Songbird Initiative, that also found millions of acres clearcut yearly for daily junk mail, advertising inserts, catalogues, over 1/3 of all newsprint used in the US.
That number could reduce the more we reduce, reuse & recycle paper. Ask for post consumer recycled content.. at least 60%.. make that 90%.

Karolyn Beebe - Madison
NORTH AMERICA TRADING SONGBIRDS FOR JUNK MAIL

OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada, May 6, 2003 (ENS) - One in every three of North America's songbirds is born in Canada's northern boreal forest, according to new research released to mark International Migratory Bird Day on May 10.
Full text: http://ens-news.com/ens/may2003/2003-05-06-03.asp