[BCNnet] WNV workshop invitation

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:30:26 -0500

Forwarded from Michael Pond...

Hello Chicago Wilderness!

The Education/Communication and Land Management Teams' are proud to present a
West Nile Virus Workshop:

Everything You Wanted to Know About West Nile...and Even Some Things You
Didn’t!

Much hype has been generated in recent years about the impact of West Nile
Virus and what we are doing to stop it.  A workshop, sponsored by the Chicago
Wilderness Education/Communication and Land Management Teams will host
speakers
and foster discussions to help us decipher the fact and fiction about West
Nile.

During the workshop we will learn about the history of West Nile, the
impact of
mosquitoes, and control measures both on a regional and national level.
Following the presentations, guests are invited to participate in a series of
breakout groups focused on better understanding West Nile and how to
facilitate
this information to visitors of Chicago Wilderness institutions.  Should West
Nile Virus be the cause of so much hysteria…or is it simply overstated through
the media?

Vital information:
Date: Wednesday, June 25 2003
Place: The Lincoln Park Zoo Laflin Building, 2001 N. Clark, Chicago, IL
Time: 9:00-3:15pm
Directions: Please visit the Lincoln Park Zoo website for driving instructions
and maps.  You may visit the site at www.lpzoo.org.
Fees: The fee for the workshop will be determined soon.  We will not be
providing lunch, so fees will be nominal.  There are plenty of restaurants in
and around the zoo.
Parking: is available in the Lincoln Park Zoo lot for $10.00, otherwise street
parking is available (please note the Lincoln Park Zoo is located at the
corner
of Fullerton Ave. and Cannon Drive.  The Laflin Building is one block south of
Zoo’s west entrance.  Please see map for details).

Featured Speakers:
Dominic Travis
Lincoln Park Zoo Veterinary Epidemiologist: on the history of West Nile
George Balis
Clarke Mosquito Control: on local monitoring and management
Rich Lampman
Illinois Natural History Survey: on the biology of mosquitoes
Adam Ringia
Illinois Natural History Survey: on birds and West Nile
Andy Kimmel
Lake County Forest Preserve: on communication techniques

Please RSVP with Michael Pond by Friday, June 20.  You can reach
Michael at (773) 755-5100 ext. 5016

 This promises to be a great day with informative and entertaining speakers!
Please make checks payable to: Lake County Forest Preserve District, and
PLEASE
bring your check to the workshop!

You can rsvp for the workshop with me, Michael Pond, either via email, or
phone: 773.755.5100 x5016. I know this may be late notice for some of you, but
please try to rsvp by Friday, June 20...but no later than Monday, June 23.

Driving Directions:
<http://www.lpzoo.org/general/directions.html>http://www.lpzoo.org/general/d
irections.html

I hope to see you all at this workshop!
Sincerely,

Michael Pond
Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
Education & Communication Team Coordinator
Chicago Wilderness
2430 N. Cannon Dr.
Chicago, IL 60614
ph. 773.755.5100 x5016