[BCNnet] Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and birds threatened - Take Actio n Today!

BERRY, Kristen America McClure kberry@audubon.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:06:07 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C81D.4C05A3C0

EARLY ACTIONS BY YOUR LAWMAKER MAY WELL
DETERMINE THE FATE OF THE ARCTIC REFUGE!

Just days into the 108th Congress and the fight to protect the Arctic Refuge
from oil and gas drilling is heating up!  Right now, pro-drilling proponents
are trying to attach a drilling provision to the nation's official budget
for Fiscal Year 2004 while the bill is in Committee. This is a strictly
political "back door" maneuver that would bypass an open, fair debate in the
U.S. House of Representatives!  If they are successful, it will be more
difficult for anti-drilling lawmakers to remove the provision without having
to oppose the entire bill - a very hard thing to do, as the overall bill
will include tremendously important provisions that keep our government up
and running, such as taxes, social security, the U.S. Mail, and air traffic
control.

And as their sneaky tactics are being employed, the pro-drilling special
interests are also working tirelessly to win over Members of Congress by
overwhelming them with less than accurate claims!  Make no mistake, drilling
in the Arctic Refuge will in no way solve our nation's energy problems, or
reduce our dependence on foreign oil.  In fact, it has been widely reported
that there is only a 6-month supply of oil in the Arctic Refuge - and it
would take a full 10 years before any of that oil would begin to flow.
Raising the fuel efficiency of light vehicles by less than one mile per
gallon could save the same amount of oil that might be under the Arctic
Refuge!

	If we're going to win and protect the Arctic Refuge from drilling,
we need your help in this, the first crucial battle!  Your lawmaker will be
called on to cast a vote on whether to include Arctic drilling provisions to
the budget bill.  Don't let your lawmaker fall victim to the greed of
pro-drilling special interests!   For the pro-drillers, this is about
short-term financial gains.  For those against drilling, it's about
protecting America's last great frontier, protecting an environmentally
sensitive and biologically productive area for birds and wildlife that call
it home. And it's about allowing a National Wildlife Refuge to do what it
was created to do: be a haven for birds and wildlife.

Please contact your Representative and urge him or her to oppose any and all
efforts to include provisions to open the Arctic Refuge to drilling in the
budget bill!   Click onto this link now to send your free message to your
Representative now!
http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/contact/default.asp?subject=23

	Thank you for your support!  We can't win without it!

Special Note: if you haven't used our free service before, you'll reach our
special sign-up form. Once you fill out the form, you'll reach the screen to
send a letter to your lawmakers.  Don't let this screen deter you from
taking action!  This information is confidential and will not be used for
other purposes.

Kristen Berry

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C81D.4C05A3C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and birds threatened - Take =
Action Today!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>EARLY ACTIONS BY YOUR LAWMAKER MAY WELL</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>DETERMINE THE FATE OF THE ARCTIC REFUGE!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just days into the 108th Congress and the fight to =
protect the Arctic Refuge from oil and gas drilling is heating =
up!&nbsp; Right now, pro-drilling proponents are trying to attach a =
drilling provision to the nation's official budget for Fiscal Year 2004 =
while the bill is in Committee. This is a strictly political &quot;back =
door&quot; maneuver that would bypass an open, fair debate in the U.S. =
House of Representatives!&nbsp; If they are successful, it will be more =
difficult for anti-drilling lawmakers to remove the provision without =
having to oppose the entire bill - a very hard thing to do, as the =
overall bill will include tremendously important provisions that keep =
our government up and running, such as taxes, social security, the U.S. =
Mail, and air traffic control.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And as their sneaky tactics are being employed, the =
pro-drilling special interests are also working tirelessly to win over =
Members of Congress by overwhelming them with less than accurate =
claims!&nbsp; Make no mistake, drilling in the Arctic Refuge will in no =
way solve our nation's energy problems, or reduce our dependence on =
foreign oil.&nbsp; In fact, it has been widely reported that there is =
only a 6-month supply of oil in the Arctic Refuge - and it would take a =
full 10 years before any of that oil would begin to flow.&nbsp; Raising =
the fuel efficiency of light vehicles by less than one mile per gallon =
could save the same amount of oil that might be under the Arctic =
Refuge!</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>If we're =
going to win and protect the Arctic Refuge from drilling, we need your =
help in this, the first crucial battle!&nbsp; Your lawmaker will be =
called on to cast a vote on whether to include Arctic drilling =
provisions to the budget bill.&nbsp; Don't let your lawmaker fall =
victim to the greed of pro-drilling special interests!&nbsp;&nbsp; For =
the pro-drillers, this is about short-term financial gains.&nbsp; For =
those against drilling, it's about protecting America's last great =
frontier, protecting an environmentally sensitive and biologically =
productive area for birds and wildlife that call it home. And it's =
about allowing a National Wildlife Refuge to do what it was created to =
do: be a haven for birds and wildlife.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please contact your Representative and urge him or =
her to oppose any and all efforts to include provisions to open the =
Arctic Refuge to drilling in the budget bill!&nbsp;&nbsp; Click onto =
this link now to send your free message to your Representative now! <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/contact/default.asp?subjec=
t=3D23" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/contact/default.=
asp?subject=3D23</A></FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Thank you =
for your support!&nbsp; We can't win without it!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Special Note: if you haven't used our free service =
before, you'll reach our special sign-up form. Once you fill out the =
form, you'll reach the screen to send a letter to your lawmakers.&nbsp; =
Don't let this screen deter you from taking action!&nbsp; This =
information is confidential and will not be used for other purposes. =
</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kristen Berry</FONT>
</P>