[BCNnet] Re: Response to Science and Birds (no sightings, long)

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:44:01 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0178_01C2C7CE.C5EF9B40

I claim no science background at all (I have a BA and an MBA so that =
makes it clear that I am as far from science as I can get!) but I do =
have a lot of background monitoring at the same site and feel that =
experience qualifies me to chime in on this subject.

We usually have 75 bobolinks on our site, the Poplar Creek Forest =
Preserve in Hoffman Estates, every year.  This year, we had 11.  Was I =
panicky about what had happened to all of them?  No, because we had had =
a very extensive burn in April and there was very little habitat for =
them.  I also knew that the folks at Paul Douglas ( a similar sized =
preserve about 3 miles from us) had record numbers (upwards of 100 =
birds) of that species this year.  I feel very confident that I can draw =
a cause and effect relationship here without a lot of research- =
scientific or otherwise- because I have facts to support my conclusion:  =
my 13 years of observations on this site, the fact of the burn and the =
information from Carolyn Fields and Stan Stec, monitors at Paul Douglas.

But 13 years of experience at one site does not give me all the =
information I need to draw other conclusions.  For example, we have an =
area affectionately referred to as "Lake Leaky" because of its =
propensity to go dry at some point every year. For years, I have watched =
waterfowl come through in the spring and, some years, species like coots =
and grebes will stay to nest.  There have been other years, though, =
where these species appeared and then moved on without an apparent =
reason.  I never could figure out how they knew what the water level =
would be by the time their young hatched.

One year when the area went dry, I saw tremendous growth of sedges and =
grasses and it finally occurred to me that the birds were staying or =
moving based on food source and I was thrilled that I had figured that =
out.  Well, the next year, when the food source was there and the water =
levels were good, very few birds even stopped there so my great theory =
was blown, you'll excuse the expression, out of the water.  So, after 13 =
years, I still cannot explain why those birds come and go the way they =
do.

One of the greatest things about ornithology is that the "real" =
scientists not only accept, but solicit, input from amateurs.  We can =
gather the data and submit it but I have a problem with analyzing it in =
any meaningful way unless we have some guidelines for gathering it.  We- =
or the real "experts"- can make preliminary evaluations but that's all =
they are until they are backed up by more data.

Since I see crows only 7 out of every 10 monitoring trips, I did not =
participate in the crow study since a one day observation would have =
been meaningless.  I felt better about doing the chickadee study because =
I see that species almost without fail every time I go out so their =
complete absence would have told me something (but, since they were =
present every week this year, I learned nothing, in my opinion).

As amateurs (most of us, anyway), I feel we need to be very cautious in =
drawing some of the conclusions that we do.  We can label them as =
preliminary but I feel we need to make that extremely clear before they =
are released.

Judy Mellin
Bird Monitor
Poplar Creek Forest Preserve