[BCNnet] Support for a DuPage Forest preserve restoration project

BFisher928@aol.com BFisher928@aol.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:17:24 EST

--part1_1d1.2796a84.2b7c3e14_boundary

DuPage BCNnetters
For those of you who live in DuPage County, I need your help!
I plan to attend either the next DuPage FP Commission meeting on Feb. 18 (or
the one after that on March 4) and to enter into the record a list of (I hope
hundreds) of DuPage County residents who:
Support the sound, scientifically based retsoration activities of the DuPage
Forest Preserve Commission
Support the 54 acre bluff/oak savanna restoration project scheduled at
Waterfall Glen FP
Pasted below my signature is a condensed version of why I need your help.
Please reply to this email and give me your OK. All I need is your name and
the town/area in DuPage where you live. If you can get other names, friends,
family, neighbors, etc. who also would support this, that would be great.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Bob Fisher
BFisher928@aol.com
Downers Grove (DuPage county) IL
A very small group is continuing in it's efforts to block an approved
restoration project which is to be carried out by our DuPage County Forest
Preserve District. The project is 54 acres at Waterfall Glen FP in
southeastern DuPage. The project intent is to remove vegetation to open up
the canopy as a 1st stage in restoring some of the very rare bluff and oak
savanna which has been seriously degraded (by alien plants and invasive weed
trees) from years of neglect. I know this area intimately, from more than 30
years of visits, and this is a really good project, based on sound scientific
restoration methods and in complete concert with the Chicago Wilderness
Biodiversity recovery plan.
The 'group' opposing the project is trying every means possible to get it
stopped. Among other things, they've dragged in IEPA (claiming a storm water
management plan and permit should be required), the US F&WS (claiming the
project involves broadcast spraying of a herbicide; it doesn't, the herbicide
would only be applied directly to stumps) and quoted at a Commission meeting
the dictionary definition of savannah, claiming savannas have no place in
"Forest Preserves". You may ask "Why does the commission listen?" The
presence of a couple of the group's members at every meeting, coupled with a
barrage of letters raising all sorts of bogus issues and claims, clearly
makes the politicians uneasy (3 are brand new to the commision). It's a form
of tyranny by a minority.

--part1_1d1.2796a84.2b7c3e14_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">DuPage BCNnetters<BR>
For those of you who live in DuPage County, I need your help!<BR>
I plan to attend either the next DuPage FP Commission meeting on Feb. 18 (or=
 the one after that on March 4) and to enter into the record a list of (I ho=
pe hundreds) of DuPage County residents who: <BR>
Support the sound, scientifically based retsoration activities of the DuPage=
 Forest Preserve Commission<BR>
Support the 54 acre bluff/oak savanna restoration project scheduled at Water=
fall Glen FP<BR>
Pasted below my signature is a condensed version of why I need your help. Pl=
ease reply to this email and give me your OK. All I need is your name and th=
e town/area in DuPage where you live. If you can get other names, friends, f=
amily, neighbors, etc. who also would support this, that would be great. <BR=

Thanks for your help.<BR>
Regards<BR>
Bob Fisher<BR>
BFisher928@aol.com<BR>
Downers Grove (DuPage county) IL <BR>
A very small group is continuing in it's efforts to block an approved restor=
ation project which is to be carried out by our DuPage County Forest Preserv=
e District. The project is 54 acres at Waterfall Glen FP in southeastern DuP=
age. The project intent is to remove vegetation to open up the canopy as a 1=
st stage in restoring some of the very rare bluff and oak savanna which has=20=
been seriously degraded (by alien plants and invasive weed trees) from years=
 of neglect. I know this area intimately, from more than 30 years of visits,=
 and this is a really good project, based on sound scientific restoration me=
thods and in complete concert with the Chicago Wilderness Biodiversity recov=
ery plan.<BR>
The 'group' opposing the project is trying every means possible to get it st=
opped. Among other things, they've dragged in IEPA (claiming a storm water m=
anagement plan and permit should be required), the US F&amp;WS (claiming the=
 project involves broadcast spraying of a herbicide; it doesn't, the herbici=
de would only be applied directly to stumps) and quoted at a Commission meet=
ing the dictionary definition of savannah, claiming savannas have no place i=
n "Forest Preserves". You may ask "Why does the commission listen?" The pres=
ence of a couple of the group's members at every meeting, coupled with a bar=
rage of letters raising all sorts of bogus issues and claims, clearly makes=20=
the politicians uneasy (3 are brand new to the commision). It's a form of ty=
ranny by a minority. <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1d1.2796a84.2b7c3e14_boundary--