[BCNnet] Re: IBET: North Pond Beaver

birdperson@juno.com birdperson@juno.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:28:22 GMT

Hi Leslie,

Thanks very much for your input.  I forwarded your message to the Chicago Park District and its maintenance contractor, as well as Susan Fargo, NPCC Chair.

The district has considerable experience dealing with beavers in some of its holdings, such as Jackson Park Lagoons on the city's south side, and sites along the Chicago River.  The tree wrapping you describe is one of the methods used; it is a black chain link that can be wrapped around even the smallest diameter trees and shrubs. It seems fairly effective in the parks where I have seen it, such as Ronan Park on the Chicago River between Lawrence Avenue (4800 N.) and Argyle Street. I understand trapping is also used in some cases.

It will be interesting to see how the NP beaver is dealt with. I am sure we will all learn a lot in the process.

Best regards,

/Leslie Borns
birdperson@juno.com
Chicago/Cook