[BCNnet] article on private parking lot toll on fishermen, birders

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:55:44 -0400

When the park district commissioners approved charging for parking at selected lots, I specifically asked about access for early morning users.  I was told there would be no problem.  It was not really clear what they saw the solution would be beyond the lot north of the sanctuary.

I've never noticed if the north lot is filled in the morning (because I get to the Sanctuary from the south via the Recreation Drive exit so I never pass the north lot).  However, someone's comment earlier that the tennis court lot is filled with residential parking certainly makes sense -- it's true everywhere else in the parks.

As fate would have it, I'm going to a meeting with a park district senior exec next week.  I will certainly ask about the parking problem.  An identical problem is about to occur at Northerly Island since Standard Parking prevents access to the public lots when Standard staffers aren't there.

I'll report back.

Randi Doeker
Chicago
rbdoeker@aol.com