[BCNnet] re: CAS Banquet

chicago_audubon@juno.com chicago_audubon@juno.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:32:31 -0500

Hi Everybody,
The deadline for getting your reservations in for the Chicago Audubon
Society's annual Environmental Awards Banquet is fast approaching - don't
delay - we need to hear from you by THIS Friday to reserve you a spot.

Please come and help us honor our award recipients this year, Mary van
Haaften, Linda Day, Terry Schilling, Paul Clyne, Dale Bowman and Richard
Biss, and also to hear about the City of Chicago's plans for Lake Calumet
area wetlands, presented by Suzanne Malec.

To make reservations, call or e-mail the Chicago Audubon office
(773-539-6793,
chicago_audubon@juno.com ) by April 18th.

Details for the banquet follow:

What:  Chicago Audubon Society Annual Environmental Awards Banquet
Date:  Saturday, April 26th, 2003;  social/cocktail hour: 5:30pm  dinner:
6:30pm
Place:  Homestead Inn Restaurant, 8305 W. North Ave., Melrose Park (just
east of 1st Ave., detailed directions follow below)
Cost:   $25 per person
Dinner choices:  chicken in white wine sauce, tilapia, vegetarian

Speaker:  Suzanne Malec, Deputy Commissioner, City of Chicago, Dept. of
Natural Resource.  Topic: Chicago's plans for the Lake Calumet Open Space
Reserve

Please come join us!

Karen Andersen,
Chicago Audubon Society Office Manager
chicago_audubon@juno.com

Christine Lee, CAS President
stephenc@interaccess.com

Alan Anderson, casresearch@attbi.com
Joe Lukaszyk, ehanson@ais.net
Awards Dinner Committee

The following six people have been selected by the CAS board for this
year's
awards:

Mary Van Haaften - Protector of the Environment, Vocation:
As the Chicago Park District's Natural Areas Manager, Mary has helped
create
and maintain urban ecosystems that provide sanctuary for people, plants,
birds and other wildlife.   Mary is responsible managing 50 natural areas
in
the city, and has also developed a Volunteer Stewardship Program for
these
areas.

Terry Schilling - Protector of the Environment, Avocation:
A restoration volunteer since the early 1990's, Terry Schilling has
worked
to restore Lincoln Park's Jarvis Migratory Bird Sanctuary and provided
valuble habitat planning and leadership on volunteer workdays there as
well.
He also serves on the Mayor's Landscape Advisory Task Force, and as a
founding BCN (Birding Conservation Network) member, he wrote guidelines
adopted by the Chicago Park District for promoting and protecting bird
habitats in Chicago's lakefront parks.

Paul R. Clyne - Protector of the Environment, Avocation:
Paul has served on the Illinois Ornithological Records Committee since
1996,
and been a seasonal bird report editor for IOS for a number of years.
He
has compiled precise records of the birds sighted (and nesting) in
Jackson
Park since 1980, which has helped provide invaluable aid to researchers.

Linda Day - Protector of the Environment, Single Act:
Establishing the LIGHTS OUT program, to help save migrating birds, was
Linda
Day's contribution to the cause of conservation.  Through her contacts at
BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association), she created
this program to help spread the word to the city's tall building
managers --- Save The Birds.   Linda also serves as Chair of the Wildlife
and Nature Subcommittee of the Mayor's Landscape Task Force.

Dale Bowman - Excellence in Environmental Reporting:
Outdoor Editor for the Chicago Sun Times for the past 8 years, Dale
always
finds room for birding and conservation issues.  Dale writes about many
environmental issues, including those involving IDNR and local Forest
Preserve Board oversight, and is one of the few to report on the damage
that
could be caused to the local environment by the proposed
Peotone Airport.  He also helps publicize bird counts and walks, and also
includes some bird sightings in his "news and notes".  Check out a recent
article on local woodcock flights at:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/outdoors/cst-spt-bowman30.html

Richard Biss - Service to Chicago Area Birders:
For 17 years, Richard Biss has managed the Rare Bird Alert for Chicago
Audubon.  Before IBET there was, and still is, Richard Biss.  Rich has
also
provided valuble information and assistance for the CAS seasonal bird
checklists.

The CAS Awards Dinner will give recognition and acknowledgement to these
people.  Please join us to celebrate their achievements.

DIRECTIONS TO THE RESTAURANT

The Homestead Restaurant is at 8305 W. North Avenue in Melrose Park.

>From the South and West: Take I-290 to 1st Avenue North. Go north about
3
miles to North Avenue (1600 N.) and turn right. The Homestead is on your
right, less than a ¼ mile.

>From the North and Northwest: Take I-294 to Irving Park Road and go
east, 1
mile, to River Road. Turn right on River Road and continue until it meets
with Cumberland/First Avenue. Continue south and turn left on North
Avenue,
go ¼ mile to restaurant (on south side of the street).

>From Chicago: Take either Cumberland Avenue south, which turns into
First
Avenue, and follow the above directions, or take North Avenue west to the
restaurant (a short distance past Thatcher Ave.).

Hope to see you all there.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com