[BCNnet] Chicago dragonfly monitoring

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:40:46 -0500

I'm forwarding this message for Nathan Schroeder of the Chicago Park
District...

Dragonfly Monitoring Network
The Dragonfly Monitoring Network is a citizen scientist program monitoring the
health of dragonfly populations throughout the Chicago area.  After the
success
of the Butterfly Monitoring Network, Dragonflies represent a next step in
collecting data on insect populations and their response to land management
techniques.  Through this project we hope to be able to gain a greater
knowledge of the distribution and abundance of dragonfly and damselfly species
in the Chicagoland region and eventually to expand the network across Illinois
and beyond.  Chicago Park District is helping support the DMN by linking
volunteers with Chicago parks.

Volunteers are required to:
 Learn to identify key dragonfly and damselfly species
 Conduct at least 6 site visits between late May and late September
 Spend 1 to 2 hours walking the route during each visit
 Submit data sheets at the end of the season, which are then added to the DMN
database

* The Dragonfly Monitoring Network Provides Training *
You must attend one training workshop.
Workshop days are: April 12th and April 19th from 10:30 to 12:30 and will be
held at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.

For more information and workshop registry information, please call Nathan
Schroeder, Chicago Park District Volunteer Coordinator at 312-735-8188 or
email
at
schroeder-nathan@aramark.com.