[BCNnet] Re: Jim Solum's post on Waukegan Beach parking

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:01:00 EDT

--part1_9.6e9b6a.2ae4495c_boundary

Following up Sheryl's great posting:

Other effective places to write are the local business organizations --
that's who is losing out on the anti-visitor ordinance.  Their pressure on
the mayor and city council is likely to get faster attention.

I can't find a Chamber of Commerce for Waukegan but consider copying  your
letters to:

Waukegan Downtown Association
221 N. Genesee St.
Waukegan 60085
847-623-6650
info@Waukegandowntown.org

Sheryl:  I can't find a newspaper for Waukegan.  You're in that biz;  who
should people contact?  That's another vehicle to get the city council's
attention.

Randi Doeker
Chicago

In a message dated 10/20/02 10:36:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
sdevore@voyager.net writes:

> [...]
>
> cc: The Honorable Illinios State Senator Terry Link
> District Office
> 425 Sheridan Road
> Highwood, Illinois 60040
> 847.266.1997
> Fax: 847.266.1920
>

> cc: Brett Manning, Executive Director, Illinois Department of Natural
> Resources
> One Natural Resources Way
> Springfield, IL 62702-1271
>

> Dear  Mayor Hyde:
>
> It has been brought to my attention by a member of our birding fraternity,
> that non-residents are being ticketed for parking at Waukegan Beach, even
> during the non-beach season when plenty of parking is available. As birders
> and members of the Illinois Ornithological Society [INSERT YOUR GROUP HERE
> OR DELETE] we have long watched birds at Waukegan Beach. Its quality and
> size have attracted rare birds including the federally endangered Piping
> Plover and a host of other rare migrants.
>
> Bird-watchers who come to Waukegan do so individually or in very small
> groups, and so the impact on parking is minimal, especially since peak
> bird-watching times coincide with low-beach use times. For example, on a
> cold autumn day, we enjoy watching Dunlins, Whimbrels, Ruddy Turnstones,
> and other shorebirds migrating. In the winter, this beach is one of the
> most reliable places in Illinois to see the rare Snowy Owl.
>
> Waukegan Beach has been mentioned as one of the best Chicagoland and
> Illinois birding spots in two recently published books.
> Instead of turning away bird watchers who bring tourist dollars into your
> town, we believe you should allow us to park at the beach, and capitalize
> on the fine resource that your City has at this site. Perhaps one of us
> could organize an annual bird-watching day for residents to show them some
> interesting birds through binoculars and scopes.
>
> Considering the City of Waukegan is facing difficult economic times, it
> would be prudent of the Mayor's office to attract rather than drive away
> visitors such as bird-watchers who can help improve the economy. Birders,
> for example, eat at Waukegan's fine restaurants  such as Mathon's or
> several of your great Mexican dining establishings, after watching birds on
> the beach.
>
> The City of Waukegan is working on a major beach revitaliation project,
> which is partially being funded by the Illinios Department of Natural
> Resources, to which Illinois residents pay taxes. I believe that fact gives
> us an intrinsic right to park by the beach when spaces are available.
>
> Your Web site, <A HREF="http://www.waukeganweb.net/">http://www.waukeganweb.net/</A> says, Thank you for choosing
> Waukegan. I hope that when I choose Waukegan to watch birds in the future,
> I will not be ticketed.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Sheryl De Vore
> Chief Editor, Meadowlark, A Journal of Illinois Birds

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0">Following up Sheryl's great posting:<BR>
<BR>
Other effective places to write are the local business organizations -- that's who is losing out on the anti-visitor ordinance.&nbsp; Their pressure on the mayor and city council is likely to get faster attention.<BR>
<BR>
I can't find a Chamber of Commerce for Waukegan but consider copying&nbsp; your letters to:<BR>
<BR>
Waukegan Downtown Association<BR>
221 N. Genesee St.<BR>
Waukegan 60085<BR>
847-623-6650<BR>
info@Waukegandowntown.org<BR>
<BR>
<B>Sheryl</B>:&nbsp; I can't find a newspaper for Waukegan.&nbsp; You're in that biz;&nbsp; who should people contact?&nbsp; That's another vehicle to get the city council's attention.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Randi Doeker<BR>
Chicago<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 10/20/02 10:36:07 AM Central Daylight Time, sdevore@voyager.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
Dear friends,</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Jim Solum's Email on Waukegan's finest was right on target, and I think all of us who use the beach and only park there when there are no other cars around, and who take care of the beach better than the residents in some cases, should write a letter to the mayor, or call him or Fax him.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I think we need to take action on this -- writing letters to the mayor and pointing out how we can help Waukegan by birding there. One would think that an economically&nbsp; depressed area would welcome people like birders to the area to spend tourist dollars on food, gas, etc. Also, you should know that the state has awarded a grant to improve Waukegan Beach for their beach revitalization project, and we are, of course, Illinois taxpayers, helping foot the bill. Here is a sample letter for you to send.&nbsp; Do it now before you forget, if you are interested in helping the City of Waukegan as well as continuing to bird there. It also helps to personalize the letters a bit, but if all you have time for is to copy and Email the letter to the mayor below, please do so.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">You might also wish to call the park district at </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Verdana" LANG="0">847-360-4700&nbsp; or the City of Waukegan at </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><B>(847) 599-2510.</B><BR>
The Mayor;s Email is <A HREF="mailto:mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us">mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us</A></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
By the way, Waukegan's mayor lives NOT in Waukegan, but in Wadsworth. Interesting, eh?</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">The Honorable Mayor<BR>
Richard H. Hyde<BR>
City of Waukegan</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">410 Robert V. Sabonjian Place</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Waukegan, IL 60085</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
cc: Mr. Greg Petry, Executive Director, Waukegan Park District</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">2000 Belvidere Street <BR>
Waukegan, IL 60085&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">cc: The Honorable Illinios State Senator Terry Link</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
District Office<BR>
425 Sheridan Road<BR>
Highwood, Illinois 60040<BR>
847.266.1997<BR>
Fax: 847.266.1920<BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">cc: Brett Manning, Executive Director, Illinois Department of Natural Resources</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#336633" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Verdana" LANG="0"><B>One Natural Resources Way<BR>
Springfield, IL 62702-1271</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Verdana" LANG="0"></B><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> <BR>
 <BR>
Dear&nbsp; Mayor Hyde:<BR>
 <BR>
It has been brought to my attention by a member of our birding fraternity, that non-residents are being ticketed for parking at Waukegan Beach, even during the non-beach season when plenty of parking is available. As birders and members of the Illinois Ornithological Society [INSERT YOUR GROUP HERE OR DELETE] we have long watched birds at Waukegan Beach. Its quality and size have attracted rare birds including the federally endangered Piping Plover and a host of other rare migrants.<BR>
 <BR>
Bird-watchers who come to Waukegan do so individually or in very small groups, and so the impact on parking is minimal, especially since peak bird-watching times coincide with low-beach use times. For example, on a cold autumn day, we enjoy watching Dunlins, Whimbrels, Ruddy Turnstones, and other shorebirds migrating. In the winter, this beach is one of the most reliable places in Illinois to see the rare Snowy Owl. <BR>
 <BR>
Waukegan Beach has been mentioned as one of the best Chicagoland and Illinois birding spots in two recently published books.<BR>
Instead of turning away bird watchers who bring tourist dollars into your town, we believe you should allow us to park at the beach, and capitalize on the fine resource that your City has at this site. Perhaps one of us could organize an annual bird-watching day for residents to show them some interesting birds through binoculars and scopes.<BR>
 <BR>
Considering the City of Waukegan is facing difficult economic times, it would be prudent of the Mayor's office to attract rather than drive away visitors such as bird-watchers who can help improve the economy. Birders, for example, eat at Waukegan's fine restaurants&nbsp; such as Mathon's or several of your great Mexican dining establishings, after watching birds on the beach.<BR>
 <BR>
The City of Waukegan is working on a major beach revitaliation project, which is partially being funded by the Illinios Department of Natural Resources, to which Illinois residents pay taxes. I believe that fact gives us an intrinsic right to park by the beach when spaces are available.<BR>
 <BR>
Your Web site, <A HREF="http://www.waukeganweb.net/">http://www.waukeganweb.net/</A> says, Thank you for choosing Waukegan. I hope that when I choose Waukegan to watch birds in the future, I will not be ticketed.<BR>
 <BR>
Thank you for your consideration.<BR>
 <BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
 <BR>
Sheryl De Vore<BR>
Chief Editor, Meadowlark, A Journal of Illinois Birds<BR>
<A HREF="mailto:sdevore@voyager.net">sdevore@voyager.net</A><BR>
Mundelein, Illinois<BR>
 <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_9.6e9b6a.2ae4495c_boundary--