[BCNnet] L. Calumet Vision Committee article from Sun-Times

WJMarcisz@aol.com WJMarcisz@aol.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:16:30 EST

--part1_16d.152d2898.2afb18ee_boundary

Dear BCNnet,

Alan Anderson forwarded me this great article about GREAT news for the Lake
Calumet area, so I am sharing it with you. Enjoy!

Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.
WJMarcisz@aol.com

> http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cal05.html
>
> Lake Calumet land buy pushed
> Tuesday, November 5, 2002
> BY ABDON M. PALLASCH STAFF REPORTER
>

> South Side environmentalists held a news conference Monday to spotlight
> their request that the Cook County Forest Preserve start acquiring land
> around Lake Calumet.
> Though abused by industry for more than a century, the lake has come back
> and now serves as a natural habitat for birds and other wildlife.
> Members of the Lake Calumet Vision Committee would like to see the lake, now
> almost entirely circled by barbed wire, opened up to canoeists, wind-surfers
> and bird-watchers, with bike trails, jogging paths and picnic areas around
> it.
> "Go in there on a canoe," urged committee co-chairman Victor Crivello.
> Visitors are always surprised to see how much nature is alive and well in
> the lake and around it, he said.
> Cook County Board Commissioner Mike Quigley (D-Chicago) has lobbied his
> fellow commissioners and Forest Preserve administrators to explore acquiring
> the land around Lake Calumet. Only 5 percent of the Forest Preserve's
> holdings are in the city, he said, scoffing at suggestions that the Forest
> Preserve should not have to shoulder the costs of cleaning up the land from
> garbage dumping and other contaminants.
> "There isn't a significant parcel in the city of Chicago that doesn't need
> cleanup," Quigley said.
> The committee, composed of representatives of various environmental groups,
> doesn't have any projected costs for the Forest Preserve for acquiring the
> land.
> About a third of the land is owned by other governmental entities. As for
> the privately owned parcels, Quigley suggested a referendum similar to those
> in other counties, asking taxpayers if they favor buying the land.

--part1_16d.152d2898.2afb18ee_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dear BCNnet,
<BR>
<BR>Alan Anderson forwarded me this great article about GREAT news for the Lake Calumet area, so I am sharing it with you. Enjoy!
<BR>
<BR>Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.
<BR>WJMarcisz@aol.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cal05.html
<BR>
<BR>Lake Calumet land buy pushed
<BR>Tuesday, November 5, 2002
<BR>BY ABDON M. PALLASCH STAFF REPORTER
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>South Side environmentalists held a news conference Monday to spotlight
<BR>their request that the Cook County Forest Preserve start acquiring land
<BR>around Lake Calumet.
<BR>Though abused by industry for more than a century, the lake has come back
<BR>and now serves as a natural habitat for birds and other wildlife.
<BR>Members of the Lake Calumet Vision Committee would like to see the lake, now
<BR>almost entirely circled by barbed wire, opened up to canoeists, wind-surfers
<BR>and bird-watchers, with bike trails, jogging paths and picnic areas around
<BR>it.
<BR>"Go in there on a canoe," urged committee co-chairman Victor Crivello.
<BR>Visitors are always surprised to see how much nature is alive and well in
<BR>the lake and around it, he said.
<BR>Cook County Board Commissioner Mike Quigley (D-Chicago) has lobbied his
<BR>fellow commissioners and Forest Preserve administrators to explore acquiring
<BR>the land around Lake Calumet. Only 5 percent of the Forest Preserve's
<BR>holdings are in the city, he said, scoffing at suggestions that the Forest
<BR>Preserve should not have to shoulder the costs of cleaning up the land from
<BR>garbage dumping and other contaminants.
<BR>"There isn't a significant parcel in the city of Chicago that doesn't need
<BR>cleanup," Quigley said.
<BR>The committee, composed of representatives of various environmental groups,
<BR>doesn't have any projected costs for the Forest Preserve for acquiring the
<BR>land.
<BR>About a third of the land is owned by other governmental entities. As for
<BR>the privately owned parcels, Quigley suggested a referendum similar to those
<BR>in other counties, asking taxpayers if they favor buying the land.
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_16d.152d2898.2afb18ee_boundary--