[BCNnet] Lake Calumet marina-what to do

Joel Brammeier jbrammeier@lakemichigan.org
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:00:30 -0500

I've been asked by several people to suggest what they can do to prevent
this permit from being issued, and also if there is any recourse if or when
the permit is issued.

As far as what we can do, calls letting the Corps know that there is
appreciable opposition to this permit from a variety of groups will continue
to document that the Letter of Permission action is being applied
incorrectly.  I had heard that Senator Dick Durbin's office had gotten
involved in this issue, but I don't know to what extent. A call to his
office asking why the Corps is being allowed to use an invalid permitting
method to the detriment of Illinois waters can't hurt. The following link
will take you to relevant phone numbers/addresses:

http://durbin.senate.gov/new2001/helpwithfed.cfm

If anyone has friends in state or federal agencies (IL DNR, IEPA, USEPA,
USFWS, IL DNR Office of Water Resources) that work on this issue, they can
contact them and ask why this process is being used by the Corps and
indicate that you oppose it.  These agencies must review and comment on the
Letter of Permission request, so they can pressure the Corps not to grant
it.

I am sending a letter to the Corps on behalf of the Lake Calumet Vision
Committee outlining the legal arguments against this permit.  BCN is already
signed on.

If the permit is issued, I do not yet know of any process by which we could
appeal the decision to the Corps, but I am looking into it.  Other than
that, litigation would be an option, but as everyone knows, this is
time-consuming, expensive, and generally not the most desirable way to solve
problems. I am focusing now on how to prevent this permit from being issued
at all.

Joel Brammeier
Habitat Coordinator / Science Manager
Lake Michigan Federation