[BCNnet] Great Backyard Bird Count, Winter Gull Frolic, BA V and other upcoming birding events

Alan Anderson casresearch@ece.iit.edu
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:10:32 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0356_01C1B65C.D22E9840

Upcoming birding events that you might want to get involved with, or =
attend:

This weekend:

1)  Great Backyard Bird Count, a nationwide bird count, sponsored by =
National Audubon and Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.
Starts today, 2/15 and runs through Monday, 2/18.  For information:   =
www.birdsource.org   This count is very easy to take part in, whether =
you are a serious birder or just a casual backyard bird observer.   And =
it's fun to see check out all the reports nationwide as they come in =
over the weekend.   Recommended!

2)  Saturday, February 16, 9am - 3pm;  "Lake Michigan Winter Gull =
Frolic" in Winthrop Harbor, Lake Co. (see more info below)

Other upcoming events:

3)  Saturday, March 2,  9am - 4pm,   Chicago Audubon's Birding America =
conference at North Park University, Chicago (see below for more info;  =
pre-registration deadline is Feb. 21 (save $5-10)

4)  Saturday, March 9, 6am - 6pm;  Field Museum/CAS trip to view Bald =
Eagles on the Mississippi River (Lost Mound NWR/Savanna Army Depot);  =
contact Alan Anderson, casresearch@attbi.com for more info or call the =
Field Museum at=20

5)  Saturday, April  CAS Awards Dinner, Sat. April 6 at Homestead =
Restaurant, Melrose Park.   Speaker: Mary Hennen of the Field Museum =
will talk about area bluebird research and habits.  $25 for dinner, the =
Awards presentation, and program.  More details to follow.   Contact =
Alan Anderson, casresearch@attbi.com, or Sheryl DeVore, =
sdevore@voyager.net, for more information.

Alan Anderson, casresearch@attbi.com,   Chicago Audubon Society Research =
Committee, Des Plaines, IL

More details on the above:

1)   GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT
> A reminder from Audubon and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology that the =
Great
> Backyard Bird Count will take place this year February 15 - 18. As in
> previous years, we've continued to make improvements based on your =
good
> feedback and as our resources allow. For example, you'll see that the
> checklists have continued to be refined. In addition, we will now be =
able
> to map write-in species immediately. For an overview of this project, =
its
> evolution, and goals, please visit www.birdsource.org and read John
> Fitzpatrick and Frank Gill's "Letter from the Directors."
>
> We hope you all will participate. It's easy - just count the numbers =
and
> kinds of birds you see in your backyard, local park, wildlife refuge, =
or
> other area and send them in through the BirdSource website at
> www.birdsource.org. Keep track of the postal code and time spent =
birding.
> You'll be able to quickly see how your reports are contributing to the
> continent-wide picture. The primary purpose of the count is to create =
> massive database of North American birds so that researchers can track
> changes in bird distribution and abundance. However, we work hard to =
keep
> it fun and educational. This year, in response to the Harry Potter =
frenzy,
> we have put together an owl feature that we hope you and your family =
or
> school group will enjoy. In the next week or so, we hope to have up on =
the
> site some additional findings from the snow-depth data you provided =
(last
> year, we received about 52,000 snow depth reports!) You'll also find a
> variety of bird identification, conservation, and education materials.
>
> For more information about the GBBC, visit the web site. Feel free to =
print
> out any material from the site and send it along to others. Those not
> online who wish to participate can submit their data at their local
> library, they can call their local Audubon chapter for assistance, or =
they
> can contact their nearest Wild Birds Unlimited store (WBU sponsors the
> count), which may be submitting reports depending on the store. If all =
else
> fails, the Lab's volunteers will enter as many reports as possible.

> Reports can be sent to the Lab at GBBC, 159 Sapsucker Woods Rd., =
Ithaca, NY 14850.
> (To request an "offline packet," email cornellbirds@cornell.edu)
>
>  As always, we appreciate your participation!
>
> Allison Wells,    Communications and Outreach Director,        Cornell =
Lab of Ornithology   =20
                                 =20
> Sally Conyne,     Citizen Science Director,      Audubon

> www.birds.cornell.edu   www.audubon.org >

2)  FIRST ANNUAL "LAKE MICHIGAN WINTER GULL FROLIC"  (from David =
Johnson, djohnsoda@attbi.com )

Saturday, February l6, 2002, 9am-3pm.
Winthrop Harbor Yacht Club on The North Point Marina
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois

The excellent Jon Dunn gull ID videos will be shown along with some sort =
talks and slides on Chicago area gulls.

Come find out what "mirrors," and the "gonys spot are."
(nothing to do with Valentine's Day!)

sponsored by the Evanston North Shore Bird Club, Chicago Audubon =
Society, the Illinois Ornithological Society and James Landing.

On hand will be a field and indoor workshop on beginning to intermediate =
gull identification.  Please, you don't have to be an expert to come to =
look at gulls!  And there will be plenty of gulls and ducks on hand to =
see quite closely!

AND don't forget the WONDER of it all!  Bring a loaf of chumming WONDER =
Bread.

Worried about the cold?  Don't worry--be warm indoors at the Yacht Club. =
 We'll be looking at gulls just a few yards away from the yacht club =
proper. ' Lots of donuts and coffee, hot chocolate, etc.  Pizza in the =
afternoon!

DIRECTIONS: From I-94 or Rte 41 in NE Illinois, take Rte 173 East to =
Sheridan Road in Zion; turn North (left) on Sheridan (near Applebees =
Restaurant that has now replaced the Horizzon) into the town of Winthrop =
Harbor; turn east(right) on 7th street to Marina Drive and the North =
Point Marina (past the RR tracks); turn left (north) to a huge bldg =
named Skipper Bud's; infront of this building turn right to the yacht =
club at the harbor entrance mouth.

additional information:  James Landing (jlanding@uic.edu)=20

3)   BIRDING AMERICA V conference
> The deadline to register for Birding America at the reduced price has =
been
> extended to Feb. 21.  (save $10 for National Audubon members and $5 =
savings
> for non-members)

> Birding America  will take place on March 2, 2002 at North Park =
University
> in Chicago at Foster and Kedzie.
>
> Discover great places, great people and great birds at Chicago Audubon
> Society's Birding America V. Whether you're planning a birding trip to =
the
> Northeast, the Southwest, or the North and South Branches of the =
Chicago
> River, Birding America V will give you the inside information for the =
most
> rewarding birding experience.

> Greg Butcher, past editor of Birder's World magazine, will open =
Birding
> America V. In his keynote address, he'll rank the top birding states =
and
> rate the hotspots.
> Nine more experts from around the country will talk about birding in =
their
> areas and help you plan your trip around highlight birds and seasonal
> variations. These sessions will give you a chance to preview areas =
you've
> always wanted to visit and find out about new ones.
> Birding America V also includes four  skill building workshops to help =
you
> become a better birder.
>
> To register or for more information call the Chicago Audubon Office at
> 773/539-6793  or visit the Chicago Audubon web site at
> http://homepage.interaccess.com/~stephenc/index.html
>
> Thanks, All!
>
> Good Birding,
>
> karen A.
> CAS office
> chicago_audubon@juno.com

Chicago Audubon Society

Presents

Birding America V

March 2, 2002

North Park University

Chicago, Il

        Discover great places, great people and great birds at Chicago
Audubon Society's Birding America V. Whether you're planning a birding =
trip
to the Northeast, the Southwest, or the North and South Branches of the
Chicago River, Birding America V will give you the inside information =
for
the most rewarding birding experience.

        Birding America V will take place March 2, 2002, from 9:00 a.m. =
4:00 p.m. at North Park University at Foster and Kedzie in Chicago.

        Greg Butcher, past editor of Birder's World magazine, will open
Birding America V. In his keynote address, he'll rank the top birding =
states
and rate the hotspots.

        Nine more experts from around the country will talk about =
birding in
their areas and help you plan your trip around highlight birds and =
seasonal
variations. These sessions will give you a chance to preview areas =
you've
always wanted to visit and find out about new ones.

        Birding America V also includes four  skill building workshops =
help you become a better birder.
        Throughout the day, vendors will have booths set up to offer =
birding
books, field equipment, clothing and other useful birding-related
merchandise. Chicago Audubon will give away door prizes, including the =
grand
prize of a pair of 8 x 42 Ranger Platinum-class binoculars from Eagle
Optics, which retail for $378.

        Registration for Birding America V is $35 for National Audubon
Society members, $40 for nonmembers. The fee includes all sessions. =
Lunch is
available for $9. (A late registration fee of $45 applies after Feb. 15 =
and
at the door, subject to space availability. Lunch will not be available =
for
late registrations.)

        To register or for more information contact the Chicago Audubon
Office at 773/539-6793

HERE'S THE PROGRAM

8:15 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Check In

9:00 a.m. - Keynote Address

Top Four Birding States
   Greg Butcher, Past Editor of Birder's World

Near Chicago Birding Areas:

10:00 a.m. Chicago River
   Jerry Garden

11:00 a.m. Jackson Park/Wooded Isle
   Paul Clyne

1:00 p.m.   Midewin Prairie
   Bill Glass

2:00 p.m.   Indiana Dunes Lakefront
  Ken Brock

Skill Building Workshops:

10:00 a.m. Hawk ID
   Vic Berardi

11:00 a.m. Bird Photography
    Jerry Kumery

1:00 p.m.   Gardening for Birds and Butterflies
   Marian Thill
2:00 p.m.   Bird Calls
   Paul Baker

Vacation Trips:

10:00 a.m. New Hampshire and Eastern Mass.
    Bill Drummond,  Brookline Audubon Society

 11:00 a.m. Southeast Arizona
   Sheri Williamson, Cofounder of the
Southeast Arizona Bird Observatory

 1:00 p.m.  Magee Marsh , Northeastern Ohio
    Julie and Mark Schieldcastle, Black Swamp Bird Observatory

2:00 p.m.   Mississippi Flyway
   Dan McGuiness,  National Audubon Society,
Director Upper River Mississippi Campaign

3:00 p.m. Closing Presentation and  Door Prizes

Interpretive Birding: An integrative approach to bird-watching
   Dr. Jim Davis, Editor Interpretive Birding Bulletin

HERE'S THE REGISTRATION INFO

Registration for BIRDING AMERICA V

Please complete the form and mail to the address below

Name ____________________________________

Address __________________________________

City ____________________State ___Zip ______

Phone ___________________________________

Please register _______ attendees at
                $35 ea. National Audubon members
                $40 ea. nonmembers

Please specify Audubon Chapter _______________

        Also   ________lunches at     $9   each

                                     Total _______

Send form with check, made payable to:
Chicago Audubon Society
5801-C North Pulaski Road
Chicago, Il  60646-6057
Phone (773) 539-6793

or charge my credit card:

                 Type:   q Master Card    q VISA

Credit Card no: __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __   Exp. =
Date:
__ __ __ __

Choose one session from each time slot

10:00 a.m.      1:00 p.m.
Chicago River   Midewin Prairie
Hawk ID Gardening for Birds
N.H. and Mass.  Magee Marsh

11:00 a.m.      2:00 p.m.
Jackson Park    Indiana Dunes
Bird Photography        Bird Calls
Southeast Arizona       Mississippi Flyway

Please list additional attendees:

4)   Field Museum/CAS trip to Savanna, and Fulton IL to view eagles.   =
We leave the Field Museum via coach bus at 6am and arrive at Lost Mound =
NWR (formerly the Savanna Army Depot) about 9:30.   After an =
introductory slide show, we'll drive north along the river, observing =
many Bald Eagles.  We saw at least 150+ on a February trip to the area.  =
 After a box lunch, we'll visit the Fulton Dam for more eagles.   For =
more information contact Alan Anderson, trip leader, at =
casresearch@attbi.com or call the Field Museum 312-665-7400 for =
information or to register.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0356_01C1B65C.D22E9840

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Upcoming birding&nbsp;events that you might want =
to get=20
involved with, or attend:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>This weekend:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>1)&nbsp; Great Backyard Bird Count, a nationwide =
bird=20
count, sponsored by National Audubon and Cornell Laboratory of=20
Ornithology.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Starts today, 2/15 and runs through Monday, =
2/18.&nbsp;=20
For information:&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A =
href=3D"http://www.birdsource.org"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>www.birdsource.org</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial>&nbsp;&nbsp; This count=20
is very easy to take part in, whether you are a serious birder or just a =
casual=20
backyard bird observer.&nbsp;&nbsp; And it's fun to see check out all =
the=20
reports nationwide as they come in over the weekend.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Recommended!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>2)&nbsp; Saturday, February 16, 9am - 3pm;&nbsp; =
"Lake=20
Michigan Winter Gull Frolic"&nbsp;in Winthrop Harbor, Lake Co.&nbsp;(see =
more=20
info below)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Other upcoming events:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>3)&nbsp; Saturday, March 2,&nbsp; 9am - =
4pm,&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Chicago Audubon's Birding America conference at North Park University, =
Chicago=20
(see below for more info;&nbsp; pre-registration deadline is Feb. 21 =
(save=20
$5-10)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT><FONT face=3DArial>4)&nbsp; Saturday, March 9, 6am - =
6pm;&nbsp; Field=20
Museum/CAS trip to view Bald Eagles on the Mississippi River (Lost Mound =

NWR/Savanna Army Depot);&nbsp; contact Alan Anderson, </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:casresearch@attbi.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>casresearch@attbi.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial> for =
more info or=20
call the Field Museum at </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT><FONT face=3DArial>5)&nbsp; Saturday, April&nbsp; CAS Awards =
Dinner,=20
Sat. April 6 at Homestead Restaurant, Melrose Park.&nbsp;&nbsp; Speaker: =
Mary=20
Hennen of the Field Museum will talk about area bluebird research and=20
habits.&nbsp;&nbsp;$25 for dinner, the Awards presentation,&nbsp;and=20
program.&nbsp; More details to follow.&nbsp;&nbsp; Contact Alan =
Anderson,=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:casresearch@attbi.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>casresearch@attbi.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial>, or =
Sheryl DeVore,=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:sdevore@voyager.net"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>sdevore@voyager.net</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial>, for more =

information.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Alan Anderson, </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:casresearch@attbi.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>casresearch@attbi.com</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial>,&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Chicago Audubon Society Research Committee, Des Plaines, IL</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>More details on the above:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT><FONT face=3DArial>1)&nbsp;&nbsp; GREAT BACKYARD BIRD=20
COUNT</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; A reminder from Audubon and the =
Cornell Lab of=20
Ornithology that the Great<BR>&gt; Backyard Bird Count will take place =
this year=20
February 15 - 18. As in<BR>&gt; previous years, we've continued to make=20
improvements based on your good<BR>&gt; feedback and as our resources =
allow. For=20
example, you'll see that the<BR>&gt; checklists have continued to be =
refined. In=20
addition, we will now be able<BR>&gt; to map write-in species =
immediately. For=20
an overview of this project, its<BR>&gt; evolution, and goals, please =
visit=20
</FONT><A href=3D"http://www.birdsource.org"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>www.birdsource.org</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial> and read =
John<BR>&gt;=20
Fitzpatrick and Frank Gill's "Letter from the =
Directors."<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; We=20
hope you all will participate. It's easy - just count the numbers =
and<BR>&gt;=20
kinds of birds you see in your backyard, local park, wildlife refuge, =
or<BR>&gt;=20
other area and send them in through the BirdSource website at<BR>&gt; =
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.birdsource.org"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>www.birdsource.org</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial>. Keep =
track of the=20
postal code and time spent birding.<BR>&gt; You'll be able to quickly =
see how=20
your reports are contributing to the<BR>&gt; continent-wide picture. The =
primary=20
purpose of the count is to create a<BR>&gt; massive database of North =
American=20
birds so that researchers can track<BR>&gt; changes in bird distribution =
and=20
abundance. However, we work hard to keep<BR>&gt; it fun and educational. =
This=20
year, in response to the Harry Potter frenzy,<BR>&gt; we have put =
together an=20
owl feature that we hope you and your family or<BR>&gt; school group =
will enjoy.=20
In the next week or so, we hope to have up on the<BR>&gt; site some =
additional=20
findings from the snow-depth data you provided (last<BR>&gt; year, we =
received=20
about 52,000 snow depth reports!) You'll also find a<BR>&gt; variety of =
bird=20
identification, conservation, and education materials.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; =
For more=20
information about the GBBC, visit the web site. Feel free to =
print<BR>&gt; out=20
any material from the site and send it along to others. Those =
not<BR>&gt; online=20
who wish to participate can submit their data at their local<BR>&gt; =
library,=20
they can call their local Audubon chapter for assistance, or =
they<BR>&gt; can=20
contact their nearest Wild Birds Unlimited store (WBU sponsors =
the<BR>&gt;=20
count), which may be submitting reports depending on the store. If all=20
else<BR>&gt; fails, the Lab's volunteers will enter as many reports as=20
possible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; Reports&nbsp;can be sent to the Lab at =
GBBC, 159=20
Sapsucker Woods Rd., Ithaca, NY 14850.<BR>&gt; (To request an "offline =
packet,"=20
email </FONT><A href=3D"mailto:cornellbirds@cornell.edu"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>cornellbirds@cornell.edu</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial>)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; As always, we appreciate your=20
participation!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt;<BR>&gt; Allison=20
Wells,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Communications and Outreach=20
Director,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Cornell Lab of=20
Ornithology&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3DArial>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; Sally =
Conyne,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Citizen=20
Science Director,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Audubon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.birds.cornell.edu"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>www.birds.cornell.edu</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial>&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT><A href=3D"http://www.audubon.org"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>www.audubon.org</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial>&nbsp;&gt;<BR></FONT></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT><FONT face=3DArial>2)&nbsp; FIRST ANNUAL "LAKE MICHIGAN =
WINTER GULL=20
FROLIC"&nbsp; (from David Johnson, </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:djohnsoda@attbi.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>djohnsoda@attbi.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial> =
)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial>Saturday, February l6, 2002, =
9am-3pm.<BR>Winthrop=20
Harbor Yacht Club on The North Point Marina<BR>Winthrop Harbor,=20
Illinois</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The excellent Jon Dunn gull ID videos will be =
shown along=20
with some sort talks and slides on Chicago area gulls.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Come find out what "mirrors,"&nbsp;and the =
"gonys spot=20
are."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>(nothing to do with Valentine's =
Day!)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>sponsored by the Evanston North Shore Bird Club, =
Chicago=20
Audubon Society, the Illinois Ornithological Society and James=20
Landing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>On hand will be a field and indoor workshop on =
beginning=20
to intermediate gull identification.&nbsp; Please, you don't have to be =
an=20
expert to come to look at gulls!&nbsp; And there will be plenty of gulls =
and=20
ducks on hand to see quite closely!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>AND don't forget the WONDER of it all!&nbsp; =
Bring a loaf=20
of chumming WONDER Bread.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Worried about the cold?&nbsp; Don't worry--be =
warm indoors=20
at the Yacht Club.&nbsp; We'll be looking at gulls just a few yards away =
from=20
the yacht club proper. ' Lots of donuts and coffee, hot chocolate, =
etc.&nbsp;=20
Pizza in the afternoon!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>DIRECTIONS: From I-94 or Rte 41 in NE Illinois, =
take Rte=20
173 East to Sheridan Road in Zion; turn North (left) on Sheridan (near =
Applebees=20
Restaurant that has now replaced the Horizzon) into the town of Winthrop =
Harbor;=20
turn east(right) on 7th street to Marina Drive and the North Point =
Marina (past=20
the RR tracks); turn left (north) to a huge bldg named Skipper Bud's; =
infront of=20
this building turn right to the yacht club at the harbor entrance=20
mouth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>additional information:&nbsp; James Landing =
(</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:jlanding@uic.edu"><FONT =
face=3DArial>jlanding@uic.edu</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial>) </FONT></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>3)&nbsp;&nbsp; BIRDING AMERICA V =
conference</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; The deadline to register for Birding =
America at the=20
reduced price has been<BR>&gt; extended to Feb. 21.&nbsp; (save $10 for =
National=20
Audubon members and $5 savings</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt; for non-members)</FONT></DIV><FONT =
size=3D2><FONT>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>&gt; Birding America&nbsp; will =
take place on=20
March 2, 2002 at North Park University<BR>&gt; in Chicago at Foster and=20
Kedzie.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Discover great places, great people and great =
birds at=20
Chicago Audubon<BR>&gt; Society's Birding America V. Whether you're =
planning a=20
birding trip to the<BR>&gt; Northeast, the Southwest, or the North and =
South=20
Branches of the Chicago<BR>&gt; River, Birding America V will give you =
the=20
inside information for the most<BR>&gt; rewarding birding=20
experience.<BR><BR>&gt; Greg Butcher, past editor of Birder's World =
magazine,=20
will open Birding<BR>&gt; America V. In his keynote address, he'll rank =
the top=20
birding states and<BR>&gt; rate the hotspots.<BR>&gt; Nine more experts =
from=20
around the country will talk about birding in their<BR>&gt; areas and =
help you=20
plan your trip around highlight birds and seasonal<BR>&gt; variations. =
These=20
sessions will give you a chance to preview areas you've<BR>&gt; always =
wanted to=20
visit and find out about new ones.<BR>&gt; Birding America V also =
includes=20
four&nbsp; skill building workshops to help you<BR>&gt; become a better=20
birder.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; To register or for more information call the =
Chicago=20
Audubon Office at<BR>&gt; 773/539-6793&nbsp; or visit the Chicago =
Audubon web=20
site at<BR>&gt; </FONT></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://homepage.interaccess.com/~stephenc/index.html"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D3>http://homepage.interaccess.com/~stephenc/index.html</FONT></A><=
BR><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D3>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks, All!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Good=20
Birding,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; karen A.<BR>&gt; CAS office<BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:chicago_audubon@juno.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D3>chicago_audubon@juno.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D3>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>------------------------------------------<BR><B=
R>Chicago=20
Audubon Society<BR><BR>Presents<BR><BR>Birding America V<BR><BR>March 2, =

2002<BR><BR>North Park University<BR><BR>Chicago,=20
Il<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Discover great =
places,=20
great people and great birds at Chicago<BR>Audubon Society's Birding =
America V.=20
Whether you're planning a birding trip<BR>to the Northeast, the =
Southwest, or=20
the North and South Branches of the<BR>Chicago River, Birding America V =
will=20
give you the inside information for<BR>the most rewarding birding=20
experience.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Birding =
America V=20
will take place March 2, 2002, from 9:00 a.m. to<BR>4:00 p.m. at North =
Park=20
University at Foster and Kedzie in=20
Chicago.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Greg Butcher, =
past=20
editor of Birder's World magazine, will open<BR>Birding America V. In =
his=20
keynote address, he'll rank the top birding states<BR>and rate the=20
hotspots.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Nine more =
experts=20
from around the country will talk about birding in<BR>their areas and =
help you=20
plan your trip around highlight birds and seasonal<BR>variations. These =
sessions=20
will give you a chance to preview areas you've<BR>always wanted to visit =
and=20
find out about new =
ones.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Birding America V also includes four&nbsp; skill building workshops =
to<BR>help=20
you become a better =
birder.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Throughout the day, vendors will have booths set up to offer =
birding<BR>books,=20
field equipment, clothing and other useful =
birding-related<BR>merchandise.=20
Chicago Audubon will give away door prizes, including the grand<BR>prize =
of a=20
pair of 8 x 42 Ranger Platinum-class binoculars from Eagle<BR>Optics, =
which=20
retail for $378.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Registration=20
for Birding America V is $35 for National Audubon<BR>Society members, =
$40 for=20
nonmembers. The fee includes all sessions. Lunch is<BR>available for $9. =
(A late=20
registration fee of $45 applies after Feb. 15 and<BR>at the door, =
subject to=20
space availability. Lunch will not be available for<BR>late=20
registrations.)<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To =
register or=20
for more information contact the Chicago Audubon<BR>Office at=20
773/539-6793<BR><BR>HERE'S THE PROGRAM<BR><BR>8:15 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - =
Check=20
In<BR><BR>9:00 a.m. - Keynote Address<BR><BR>Top Four Birding=20
States<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Greg Butcher, Past Editor of Birder's =
World<BR><BR>Near=20
Chicago Birding Areas:<BR><BR>10:00 a.m. Chicago River<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Jerry=20
Garden<BR><BR>11:00 a.m. Jackson Park/Wooded Isle<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Paul=20
Clyne<BR><BR>1:00 p.m.&nbsp;&nbsp; Midewin Prairie<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill=20
Glass<BR><BR>2:00 p.m.&nbsp;&nbsp; Indiana Dunes Lakefront<BR>&nbsp; Ken =

Brock<BR><BR>Skill Building Workshops:<BR><BR>10:00 a.m. Hawk =
ID<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Vic Berardi<BR><BR>11:00 a.m. Bird Photography<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Jerry=20
Kumery<BR><BR>1:00 p.m.&nbsp;&nbsp; Gardening for Birds and=20
Butterflies<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Marian Thill<BR>2:00 p.m.&nbsp;&nbsp; Bird=20
Calls<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Paul Baker<BR><BR>Vacation Trips:<BR><BR>10:00 =
a.m. New=20
Hampshire and Eastern Mass.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill Drummond,&nbsp; =
Brookline=20
Audubon Society<BR><BR>&nbsp;11:00 a.m. Southeast =
Arizona<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Sheri=20
Williamson, Cofounder of the<BR>Southeast Arizona Bird=20
Observatory<BR><BR>&nbsp;1:00 p.m.&nbsp; Magee Marsh , Northeastern=20
Ohio<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Julie and Mark Schieldcastle, Black Swamp =
Bird=20
Observatory<BR><BR>2:00 p.m.&nbsp;&nbsp; Mississippi =
Flyway<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dan=20
McGuiness,&nbsp; National Audubon Society,<BR>Director Upper River =
Mississippi=20
Campaign<BR><BR>3:00 p.m. Closing Presentation and&nbsp; Door=20
Prizes<BR><BR>Interpretive Birding: An integrative approach to=20
bird-watching<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dr. Jim Davis, Editor Interpretive Birding =

Bulletin<BR><BR>HERE'S THE REGISTRATION INFO<BR><BR>Registration for =
BIRDING=20
AMERICA V<BR><BR>Please complete the form and mail to the address=20
below<BR><BR>Name ____________________________________<BR><BR>Address=20
__________________________________<BR><BR>City ____________________State =
___Zip=20
______<BR><BR>Phone ___________________________________<BR><BR>Please =
register=20
_______ attendees=20
at<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
$35 ea. National Audubon=20
members<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
$40 ea. nonmembers<BR><BR>Please specify Audubon Chapter=20
_______________<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Also&nbsp;&nbsp; ________lunches at&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
$9&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
each<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;=20
Total _______<BR><BR>Send form with check, made payable to:<BR>Chicago =
Audubon=20
Society<BR>5801-C North Pulaski Road<BR>Chicago, Il&nbsp; =
60646-6057<BR>Phone=20
(773) 539-6793<BR><BR>or charge my credit=20
card:<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Type:&nbsp;&nbsp; q Master Card&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; q VISA<BR><BR>Credit =
Card no:=20
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __&nbsp;&nbsp; Exp. =
Date:<BR>__ __=20
__ __<BR><BR>Choose one session from each time slot<BR><BR>10:00=20
a.m.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1:00 p.m.<BR>Chicago =
River&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Midewin Prairie<BR>Hawk ID Gardening for Birds<BR>N.H. and Mass.&nbsp; =
Magee=20
Marsh<BR><BR>11:00 a.m.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2:00 =
p.m.<BR>Jackson=20
Park&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Indiana Dunes<BR>Bird=20
Photography&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bird =
Calls<BR>Southeast=20
Arizona&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mississippi =
Flyway<BR><BR>Please=20
list additional=20
attendees:<BR>______________________________________________<BR>_________=
_____________________________________<BR>________________________________=
______________<BR>______________________________________________<BR><BR><=
BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>4)&nbsp;&nbsp; Field Museum/CAS trip to =
Savanna,=20
and Fulton IL to view eagles.&nbsp;&nbsp; We leave the Field Museum via =
coach=20
bus at 6am and arrive at Lost Mound NWR (formerly the Savanna Army =
Depot) about=20
9:30.&nbsp;&nbsp; After an introductory slide show, we'll drive north =
along the=20
river, observing many Bald Eagles.&nbsp; We saw at least 150+ on a =
February trip=20
to the area.&nbsp;&nbsp; After a box lunch, we'll visit the Fulton Dam =
for more=20
eagles.&nbsp;&nbsp; For more information contact Alan Anderson, trip =
leader, at=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:casresearch@attbi.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D3>casresearch@attbi.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3> or =
call the=20
Field Museum 312-665-7400 for information or to =
register.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3DArial><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY=