[BCNnet] Springbrook Prairie Success Story

ISSUESMAN@aol.com ISSUESMAN@aol.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:51:01 EST

--part1_a2.30587684.2b27f405_boundary

THE VALUE OF GOOD DATA AND GOOD LAND MANAGERS

I have been monitoring bird populations at Springbrook Prairie since 1994 and
have been the Volunteer Steward for the DuPage Forest Preserve District for
several years.  We probably always wonder if we are doing any good or if the
information that we collect is valuable.  I am happy to report that our
efforts can pay off and are very valuable, at least here in DuPage.

Recently I learned that a proposed limestone trail was planned to go through
one of the fields at Springbrook.  From my monitoring data, the path of the
proposed trail bisected habitat with the greatest diversity and density of
grassland birds and the center of the Henslow's Sparrow population on the
site (for those of you familiar with Springbrook this is the large fescue
field west of Book Road and north of the stream).  I called my contacts at
DuPage and told them of my concerns.   To make a long story short, DuPage
Forest preserve staff recognized the problem and took action to reroute the
proposed trail south of the field.  They did this despite the fact that the
stakes to mark the trail were already in the field and construction is slated
to start soon.

Kudos go to District staff John Oldenburg of the Natural Resources Department
and Bob Vick of the Planning and Development Department for listening and
taking immediate action to remedy the problem.  I am very happy to report
that they recognized the value of the natural resource and took action to
protect it.

Two points - without the data that I have been collecting over the years to
document the bird populations and the location of threatened species on the
site, DuPage County could have lost a significant breeding  population of
grassland birds.  You can't protect what you don't know is there.

Second, this is a great example of how volunteer efforts can support and
inform decisions on our remaining public lands.  It was great to get the
cooperation and efforts of DuPage staff  to resolve the problem.

If you have an opportunity to do so, please express your thanks to John and
Bob for their efforts.  Also, a note or email of thanks and support to Dewey
Pierotti, DuPage Forest Preserve President, is in order.  I think it is
important that they hear from us when something good happens and not only
when we have something to complain about.

It was a good feeling to know that we can help save some of our natural
heritage through our work and the concerns of our professional land managers.

Joe Suchecki
Naperville

--part1_a2.30587684.2b27f405_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Times New Roman" LANG="0">THE VALUE OF GOOD DATA AND GOOD LAND MANAGERS<BR>
<BR>
I have been monitoring bird populations at Springbrook Prairie since 1994 and have been the Volunteer Steward for the DuPage Forest Preserve District for several years.&nbsp; We probably always wonder if we are doing any good or if the information that we collect is valuable.&nbsp; I am happy to report that our efforts can pay off and are very valuable, at least here in DuPage.<BR>
<BR>
Recently I learned that a proposed limestone trail was planned to go through one of the fields at Springbrook.&nbsp; From my monitoring data, the path of the proposed trail bisected habitat with the greatest diversity and density of grassland birds and the center of the Henslow's Sparrow population on the site (for those of you familiar with Springbrook this is the large fescue field west of Book Road and north of the stream).&nbsp; I called my contacts at DuPage and told them of my concerns.&nbsp;&nbsp; To make a long story short, DuPage Forest preserve staff recognized the problem and took action to reroute the proposed trail south of the field.&nbsp; They did this despite the fact that the stakes to mark the trail were already in the field and construction is slated to start soon.<BR>
<BR>
Kudos go to District staff John Oldenburg of the Natural Resources Department and Bob Vick of the Planning and Development Department for listening and taking immediate action to remedy the problem.&nbsp; I am very happy to report that they recognized the value of the natural resource and took action to protect it.<BR>
<BR>
Two points - without the data that I have been collecting over the years to document the bird populations and the location of threatened species on the site, DuPage County could have lost a significant breeding&nbsp; population of grassland birds.&nbsp; You can't protect what you don't know is there.<BR>
<BR>
Second, this is a great example of how volunteer efforts can support and inform decisions on our remaining public lands.&nbsp; It was great to get the cooperation and efforts of DuPage staff&nbsp; to resolve the problem.<BR>
<BR>
If you have an opportunity to do so, please express your thanks to John and Bob for their efforts.&nbsp; Also, a note or email of thanks and support to Dewey Pierotti, DuPage Forest Preserve President, is in order.&nbsp; I think it is important that they hear from us when something good happens and not only when we have something to complain about.<BR>
<BR>
It was a good feeling to know that we can help save some of our natural heritage through our work and the concerns of our professional land managers.<BR>
<BR>
Joe Suchecki<BR>
Naperville&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part1_a2.30587684.2b27f405_boundary--