[BCNnet] upcoming Calumet conferences, area pollution cleanups, other Cal. issues

Alan Anderson casresearch@attbi.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:36:21 -0500

news and notes from the Lake Calumet Ecosystem Partnership meeting last
night (8/28):

>   two upcoming conferences:

a)    Friday, October 4, 2002  1pm - 6pm+
"Planning Without Boundary: A case study of Wolf Lake and the Calumet
Region"
Sponsored by Women in Planning and Development
Place:  Southeast Sportmen's Club, 13139 South Avenue M, Chicago, Illinois

Presenters include:   Hon. Duane Dedelow (Hammond mayor), Hon. Rep. Pete
Visclosky, Hon. John Pope (10th Ward Alderman), Maggie Coles (IDNR), Alex da
Silva (IN. DNR), Suzanne Malec (Chicago DoE), Kathy Dickhut, Tony Ianello,
Rory Robinson, Dan Gardner, Mike Aniol.

Admission:  $35       312-357-3333

"A community forum exploring the intracacies of regional planning for
resources shared across boundaries by numerous localities, but controlled by
individual entitles.   The afternoon will begin with a panel discussion, and
bus tour of Wolf Lake and Lake Calumet, and will culminate witha barbecue
and oepn forum considering how to plan without boundary."

b)   Saturday, October 5, 2002   8am - 1pm (plus optional afternoon bus
tour)
4th Annual Calumet Heritage Conference:  "Transitions:  Changes in the
Calumet Region"
Sponsored by Calumet State University, Calumet Environmental Resource Center
Place:  Chicago State University (Student Union Building), 9501 S. Martin
Luther King, Jr. Drive, Chicago 60628-1598
Information:   Mike Siola (773) 995-2964

Registration for conference:  $15   (plus $10 for optional bus tour 1-5pm)

Speakers include:   CSU President Dr. Elnora Daniel, Dr. Janet Halpin (CSU
Dept. Geography), Rod Sellers (Author), Larry McClellan (C/CURE), Suzanne
Malec (CDOE), Dr. Joseph Bigott (Purdue-Calumet U), Herbert Schroeder (US
Forest Service).

"Numerous changes occurring throughout the entire area, which will be
essential for preserving the unique blend of industry, communities, and
natural areas found no where else on earth.   The conference is an
opportunity to become more familiar with some of the rich diversity in the
Calumet region.

>  two environmental cleanup projects in the Calumet region are continuing

a)   on the west side of Torrence at about 110th St., People's Gas is
cleaning up the area (removing soil and ?) where much Prussion Blue dye (a
cyanide compound) was manufactured, and also dumped, in the past.

b)   the plan to clean up wetlands and other areas of the former Chicago
Calumet Container site (90% in Indiana, 10% in Illinois) is moving on.
Additional information and many historical documents related to this site
will be made available on September 1st, on the following website:

www.epa.gov/region5/sites/calcontainer

>   it was announced that Loyola University (with CSU as a co-sponsor) has
received a large grant to study the relationship of the Calumet area
environment/pollution and health problems of area residents.

>   Calumet Biodiversity blitz:     see articles in the Chicago Sun-Times
(Monday)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bio27.html

and Chicago Tribune (Sunday)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0208250441aug25.story

for additional information.

If you can't read the stories, let me know.

>    proposed Port District Marina:

Vic Crivello mentioned that the marina plan for Lake Calumet, as proposed by
the Port District was officially on hold as the US Army Corps had decided
that due to all the comments that were received (thanks to many of you!) and
as well as City of Chicago opposition, that they would stop the plan for now
and start working on a new Environmental Impact Assessment.

However, it strongly looks like there might be even much better news on the
horizon regarding this plan soon.   Wait for an official announcement, but
it looks very positive.   (suggestion:  it's good to have Mayor Daley on
'your' side of an issue).

Also see the following article in Wednesday's Chicago Sun-Times on the
marina at :

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-marina28use.html

note: in the article, it mentions a proposed Park District marina for the
Calumet area.   According to Marian Brynes, this would be on the lakefront,
at the former USX site, and there is not too much opposition to this plan,
as far as she is concerned.

Marian also strongly suggested that the proposed plan by Waste Management,
for a new landfill near O'Brien Lock and Dam, is probably going to be
denied.

One more thing on the Port District (to watch out for in the future):
someone did some more study on the Port District and found that "every inch
of wetland they fill in becomes their property", so as they operate as a
business, it is in their interest to try to do so.    So we have to be
vigilent and watchful in the future also.

Lastly, on a pre-meeting trip to Egger's Woods Marsh, it was noted that much
phragmites (not reed-canary grass as I mis-noted on IBET)) and purple
loosestrife, among other species, is filling up the wetland.    Probably a
very large amount of money would be needed to properly manage this marsh.
As a first step, Mike Boos is talking about trying to at least see if a few
area residents might be willing to become stewards at Egger's. He's started
talking to Terry Schilling about this possibility.

At either the September or October LCEP meetings (last Wednesday of each
month, 7pm at CSU), they hope to have area legislators (or their aides) come
to the meeting to start becoming more informed about the LCEP and business
and environmental concerns in the Calumet region.

Alan Anderson
casresearch@attbi.com
 Des Plaines,
 Chicago Audubon Society representative to LCEP