[BCNnet] BCNnet: Montrose Beach Pilot Dog Area

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:48:06 EDT

A story from the forthcoming COS Birder newsletter that you may be interested
in...

Montrose Beach IS Going to the Dogs!
Birder Vigilance Needed

By Christine Williamson, COS Conservation Chair

Despite much scientific and birder opinion in support of keeping Montrose
Beach free of dogs to benefit shorebirds, the Chicago Park District likely is
introducing a LEGAL dog beach there in the fall.
The dog area will be fenced off for use by dog walkers only. The area is
small, located at the northern end of the beach past the Wilson Boat Launch.
The dog beach area will be in use from April to November. Dog walkers may use
all of Montrose Beach in the mornings and late afternoons throughout the
winter months.
A delegation of birders and conservation activists met with Chicago Park
Superintendent, David Doig, in August. Superintendent Doig was cordial and
listened closely to birder arguments regarding keeping dogs off Montrose
Beach. He was sensitive to the needs of migrant shorebirds, but nonetheless,
said the pilot dog beach area may go forward.
Superintendent Doig stressed that the program is a trial and that if dog
walkers do not confine their dogs to the dog area on Montrose Beach, police
will enforce the leash law and fine violators a minimum of $300 per
violation. If dog walkers chronically disobey the leash laws and let their
pets roam elsewhere on the beach, the Park District will reconsider the pilot
program, Superintendent Doig said.
Conservation activists from a number of birding and environmental groups are
exploring ways to stop the pilot Montrose Dog Beach program, but if it does
go forward, birders should start keeping track of dog walker violations and
reporting their sightings. If this pilot program does not keep dogs confined
to the very northern part of Montrose Beach, we must be quick to report our
findings to the Park District.
Please send the date, time, and nature of violation to me at
birdchris@aol.com. Still photos and video footage also would be useful. If
you do not have email, please keep a written log and mail it to me at 4016 N.
Clarendon Ave., #3N, Chicago, IL 60613.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris!aol.com