[BCNnet] more info on wind turbines

Robbie Hunsinger hunsinger@telocity.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:24:26 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3112514666_403478_MIME_Part

Dear BCNnet,

I have found some interesting websites concerning wind turbine use.
First of all, there have been no alarming statistics on migratory birds that
I have been able to find.

One site from Denmark
http://www.windpower.dk/tour/env/birds.htm
actually reports that migratory birds change their flight paths 100-200
meters out from turbines to avoid them, during day and night hours. This
same organization suggests that power lines going to and from a wind plant
are more dangerous to birds than the turbines themselves.

There are options other than running high lines in such an operation. Any
ideas on influencing this part of the plan in Illinois?

Also the design of the turbines is very important. There are slower blades
now that are safer for birds from what I have read. The height of the
machines and concentration can be important as well.

There is an infamous case of avain mortality at wind turbines in Alta Mount
CA. These turbines were placed within a well known breeding ground for
Golden Eagles - go figure.  My impression is that eagles were killed while
diving to hunt, and that also certain prey birds were trying to avoid being
caught and ran into the turbines.  I don't know exactly, but the impression
is that the eagle would perch and then dive, not seeing the rotating blades.
There were other fatalities pretty well documented,  but not a lot of
conclusive info.

General concensus seems to be that the slower moving blades are a safer
choice. Also that no guys wires should be used, or platforms which can be
used as hunting perches. There are definitely better and worse designs  as
far as the birds go.

I am aware that the turbine going up at the Field Museum has a ring around
it. It seems that this would encourage some type of high risk perching.
Anybody know why they chose this design?
I will try to find out and write back in. I have played phone tag with
Steven Walter at the Mayor's Office , but have not been successful in
actually talking to him. He seemed very open to talking about the green
energy plans and he was aware of avain issues,  which seems very
encouraging.

There are a ton of papers online about these issues.

Links below are to the most informative sites I have found.

http://www.currykerlinger.com/windpower.htm
http://www.nationalwind.org/pubs/avian00/default.htm
http://www.nrel.gov/wind/avian.html
http://www.windpower.dk/tour/env/birds.htm

In conclusion, I think it is important to weigh in on the turbine designs,
placement of these farms, and also very importantly, on the the power line
issues.  Also, does anyone know if  they will  be required to put those
damned bird attracting lights on the towers?  Just another wrinkle.

Overall, it seems possible from what I've read, to make choices in the
design of these plants that will really cut down on chances of avain
mortality.

Please let me know if you have ideas about this, and if you have found other
helpful links.
I will  keep a list of resources.

Robbie Hunsinger

--MS_Mac_OE_3112514666_403478_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>more info on wind turbines</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Dear BCNnet,<BR>
<BR>
I have found some interesting websites concerning wind turbine use.<BR>
First of all, there have been no alarming statistics on migratory birds tha=
t I have been able to find.<BR>
<BR>
One site from Denmark<BR>
http://www.windpower.dk/tour/env/birds.htm <BR>
actually reports that migratory birds change their flight paths 100-200 met=
ers out from turbines to avoid them, during day and night hours. This same o=
rganization suggests that power lines going to and from a wind plant are mor=
e dangerous to birds than the turbines themselves. <BR>
<BR>
There are options other than running high lines in such an operation. Any i=
deas on influencing this part of the plan in Illinois?<BR>
<BR>
Also the design of the turbines is very important. There are slower blades =
now that are safer for birds from what I have read. The height of the machin=
es and concentration can be important as well. <BR>
<BR>
There is an infamous case of avain mortality at wind turbines in Alta Mount=
 CA. These turbines were placed within a well known breeding ground for Gold=
en Eagles - go figure. &nbsp;My impression is that eagles were killed while =
diving to hunt, and that also certain prey birds were trying to avoid being =
caught and ran into the turbines. &nbsp;I don't know exactly, but the impres=
sion is that the eagle would perch and then dive, not seeing the rotating bl=
ades. There were other fatalities pretty well documented, &nbsp;but not a lo=
t of conclusive info.<BR>
<BR>
General concensus seems to be that the slower moving blades are a safer cho=
ice. Also that no guys wires should be used, or platforms which can be used =
as hunting perches. There are definitely better and worse designs &nbsp;as f=
ar as the birds go.<BR>
<BR>
I am aware that the turbine going up at the Field Museum has a ring around =
it. It seems that this would encourage some type of high risk perching. Anyb=
ody know why they chose this design?<BR>
I will try to find out and write back in. I have played phone tag with Stev=
en Walter at the Mayor's Office , but have not been successful in actually t=
alking to him. He seemed very open to talking about the green energy plans a=
nd he was aware of avain issues, &nbsp;which seems very encouraging.<BR>
<BR>
There are a ton of papers online about these issues. <BR>
<BR>
Links below are to the most informative sites I have found.<BR>
<BR>
http://www.currykerlinger.com/windpower.htm<BR>
http://www.nationalwind.org/pubs/avian00/default.htm<BR>
http://www.nrel.gov/wind/avian.html<BR>
http://www.windpower.dk/tour/env/birds.htm<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>In conclusion, I think it is important to weigh in on the turb=
ine designs, &nbsp;placement of these farms, and also very importantly, on t=
he the power line issues. &nbsp;Also, does anyone know if &nbsp;they will &n=
bsp;be required to put those damned bird attracting lights on the towers? &n=
bsp;Just another wrinkle.<BR>
<BR>
Overall, it seems possible from what I've read, to make choices in the desi=
gn of these plants that will really cut down on chances of avain mortality.<=

<BR>
Please let me know if you have ideas about this, and if you have found othe=
r helpful links.<BR>
I will &nbsp;keep a list of resources.<BR>
<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3112514666_403478_MIME_Part--