[BCNnet] Upcoming workdays, and a special event this Saturday

Terry Schilling tsrecord@ripco.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:36:43 -0500

This Saturday, April 13th, is the next workday at the (soon to be officially
renamed) Bill Jarvis Migratory Bird Sanctuary, at the foot of Addison Street in
Chicago's Lincoln Park. We'll be planting a few rare wildflowers, a little seed,
and quite a few shrubs. We'll also be celebrating the new Sanctuary amenities
and expansion with some of our local elected officials, including Mayor Richard
M. Daley.

Come out for the work, the fun, and you'll get to see the new Purple Martin
houses and some birds too!

On Saturday, April 20th, we'll be participating in Friends of the Parks annual
Earth Day Clean Up. But we'll clean up while we're planting more small trees and
shrubs, and setting out peat pots with seeds of four species of legumes. Maybe
we'll cut some brush resprouts, so all those seeds we planted north of the big
pond six weeks ago have a chance to grow.

Celebrate Earth Day by giving a little back to our local piece of the Earth!

Saturday, April 27th is the fourth Saturday in April, time for our Annual Garlic
Mustard Pull. There's less this year than in years previous - thanks to all the
help you've given in the past! So if we don't spend all our time on the GM,
we'll probably continue with more shrub planting, mulching and other maintenance
work.

With just a few more years of effort on these late April workdays, we may be
able to "retire" from GM pulling!

And don't forget to mark June 1st on your calendar; we'll have more plants to
put in the areas disturbed by last winter's plumbing work, get the last GM we
missed in April, and probably put in more shrubs and seed.

All events are from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Come when you can, stay as little or as
long as you'd like. "Everyone is invited to bring this treasure to life."

Wear appropriate clothing, including a hat. Work gloves and tools will be
provided. If you have your own trowels and pruning equipment, bringing them
wouldn't hurt. Of course, bring your binoculars, but if you don't have any, we
have some you can borrow during breaks!

Refreshments from Ann Sather Restaurants will be served.

Sponsored by the Lake View Citizens Council. Authorized by the Chicago Park
District.

Terry Schilling
Chicago
--
T/S Recording and tsssystems.com provide full service video, audio and
music production and post for both traditional media and the Web, along