[BCNnet] Expanded Grassland Bird Habitat

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:10:36 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C19133.5EF5A100

Even though 2001 was not dedicated as the Year of the Grassland Birds =
(OK, it was in 2000 but some of us think EVERY year should be!), we made =
a significant contribution to the overall health and expanded habitat =
for them at the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve today.  Despite temps in =
the single digits and wind chills below 0, an intrepid group- comprised =
of many students from Harper College- cleared a spit of Siberian elms =
that was dividing two significant grassland areas.

Unfortunately, we could not clear all of the trees because some were too =
large to meet the Forest Preserve District of Cook County 4" DBH =
requirement but the area is now more open and should meet the habitat =
needs of many more grassland birds.  In the last couple of years, =
expanding populations of bobolinks and meadowlarks have "colonized" this =
area and we think they will be pleased with what they see when they =
return in 2002!

Thanks to site steward Rick McAndless for deciding to devote the =
resources to accomplish this and to "Chainsaw Bill" Koenig of the FPDCC =
for doing, well, what "Chainsaw Bill" does best!

Judy Mellin
Bird Monitor
Poplar Creek Prairie Stewards
Hoffman Estates

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C19133.5EF5A100

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Even though 2001 was not dedicated as the Year of the Grassland =
Birds (OK,=20
it was in 2000 but some of us think EVERY year should be!), we made a=20
significant contribution to the overall health and expanded habitat for =
them at=20
the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve today.&nbsp; Despite temps in the =
single digits=20
and wind chills below 0, an intrepid group- comprised of many students =
from=20
Harper College- cleared a spit of Siberian elms that was dividing two=20
significant grassland areas.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Unfortunately, we could not clear all of the trees because some =
were too=20
large to meet the Forest Preserve District of Cook County 4" DBH =
requirement but=20
the area is now more open and should meet the habitat needs of many more =

grassland birds.&nbsp; In the last couple of years, expanding =
populations of=20
bobolinks and meadowlarks have "colonized" this area and we think they =
will be=20
pleased with what they see when they return in 2002!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks to site steward Rick McAndless for deciding to devote the =
resources=20
to accomplish this and to "Chainsaw Bill" Koenig of the FPDCC for doing, =
well,=20
what "Chainsaw Bill" does best!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Judy Mellin</DIV>
<DIV>Bird Monitor</DIV>
<DIV>Poplar Creek Prairie Stewards</DIV>
<DIV>Hoffman Estates</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C19133.5EF5A100--

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!