[BCNnet] New Montrose Beach signage

Leslie Borns birdperson@juno.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:00:59 -0500

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has
been, I have great faith in a seed.  Convince me that you have a seed
there, and I am prepared to expect wonders."
					- Henry David Thoreau

Bird People:

When it comes to Montrose Beach and Point these days, it's all about
wonder.  The latest is the installation of two beautifully crafted dune
habitat protection signs on the eastern, vegetated portion of the beach.
These signs were a long time in the making.  The Park District took great
care to incorporate succinct educational and regulatory language, along
with an attractive design and bilingual (English/Spanish) format.  The
two new signs are a huge addition to an already incredibly rich habitat.
On behalf of all lakefront birders and those of us deeply involved in the
process, we extend a heartfelt thanks and hats off to Mary Van Haaften,
Park District Natural Areas Manager; Barry Burton, Deputy Director of the
Department of Natural Resources; and our eminent Lakefront Director,
Julie Gray, for their sincere dedication and commitment to the
preservation and enhancement of high-quality lakefront habitat.

Along with the two new dune protection signs, two shorebird protection
signs were installed in the eastern corner of the beach.  These signs
will serve the area well even if the experimental shorebird enclosure is
not recreated.

Please stay tuned for more information and updates about the wonderful
habitat that has emerged on Montrose Beach, and the birds, wildlife, and
unique plants it sustains.

/Leslie Borns
BCN Lakefront Task Force
birdperson@juno.com