[bcnnet] Curlew Sandpiper, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel, etc.

Donald R Dann donniebird@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

Birding Friends -

What do these birds, plus nesting Common Terns, Willets, Stilts,
Plovers, Sandpipers, and more, have in common?  They have all been seen
this summer at Great Lakes Naval Training Center at the newly created
fenced island at the tip of the peninsula.  Many, many of you have
enjoyed these very special birds and our hope is that we will have even
more and better sightings of similar special birds for years to come.

In the that regard, The Illinois Department of Natural Resources
together with great cooperation from the naval personnel at Great Lakes
are organizing a workday to greatly improve the habitat behind the
fence.  The goal is larger and more attractive for these nesting and
migrant species as well as better viewing opportunities through
improved sight lines for birders. The date will be September 15 and
volunteers will meet at the parking lot at the Main Gate at 11:00 AM.

We are very hopeful that birders will want to 'give back' by assisting
in this habitat restoration for shorebirds and terns and plan to set
that date aside.  People should be prepared to assist with dragging
brush, cutting woody vegetation and/or pulling phragmites (GLOVES!).

Please contact me and let me know that you will be happy to help on the
15th.  We would like to get some idea of how many people may attend and
so we can plan for refreshments.  Another incentive will be the
migrants we can possibly see that day, including passerines like Le
Conte's and Nelson's Sharp Tailed Sparrows, and American Pipits.  Also,
everyone will get a better understanding of the conservation
significance of this area for resting, foraging, and nesting,
especially given the development of nearly all the lake shore.

Donald

Donald R. Dann
Ph/Fx: 847-266-2222
Email: donniebird@yahoo.com

PS. For anyone planning to go on Joel Greenberg's walk that day for
Evanston North Shore Bird Club, it will be great if you could join this
workday in the same area.