[BCNnet] grassland management at Plum Creek FP working out this year so far

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Sun May 11 23:20:21 CDT 2014

I just wanted to share a few findings from my Spring Bird Count at Plum Creek Forest Preserve yesterday.
One area I surveyed there was the grassland (and it's edges), which I often also survey one time during the summer, and I have done so for a number of years.

A number of grassland birds were on territory already, with hopefully more to come.

The grassland habitat is a fairly large area.   When I was there yesterday, about half (or perhaps just a bit more) of the area had been hayed/mowed, probably this year already, and bales of hay/grass were still in the field.

The mowed/hayed areas had Savannah Sparrows, Grasshopper Sparrows and a few Bobolink in them, as well as a flock of feeding red-winged blackbirds (and a few starlings and grackles)

The non-mowed areas had singing Henslow's Sparrows and E. Meadowlarks.

As Henslow's like grassland habitat that have been standing uncut/unburned for a few years,  if the entire field had been mowed/hayed this year already, it's doubtful any or many of that species would have been attracted to the area to nest this year.

Recently grasslands have been managed to alternate mowing/haying/burning sections or so only a portion of the preserve is done a particular year, and other areas are left uncut.     I know that BCN and Audubon Chicago has been working with the Cook County Forest Preserve District on grassland habitat management the last few years.   I just wanted to say that at least so far this year, management of the grassland field at Plum Creek is working out well for the probable nesting birds there, with variety of structure and height of grasses, and I wanted to thank both the Forest Preserve District, Audubon Chicago (especially Judy Pollock) and BCN.

I don't know exactly what is happening at other local grasslands and prairies, and of course will visit a number of them as usual during nesting season, but what I saw at Plum Creek yesterday was encouraging.

Thanks for allowing me my thoughts on this.
Good monitoring,
Alan

Alan Anderson, casresearch at comcast.net Des Plaines, Cook Co.
Chicago Audubon Society Research Committee