[BCNnet] Development Director

Benjamin Cox benjamin at fotfp.org
Mon May 6 14:57:08 CDT 2013

Friends of the Forest Preserves is looking for a qualified development
director.

Please share this announcement with your networks.

Best,

Benjamin Cox
President, Friends of the Forest Preserves

*Job Description: Development Director *

*Reports to*: President

*Open: *May 6, 2013

*Organization *

Mission: Friends of the Forest Preserves works to protect, restore and
promote the forest preserves of Cook County for the benefit of people and
nature.  Friends of the Forest Preserves is an independent non-profit
organization advocating for the responsible management of the nearly 69,000
acres of forest preserves in Cook County through advocacy, intern programs,
community outreach and ecological restoration. Some of the best natural
areas in Illinois are right here in Cook County, right outside your urban
backdoor for all of us to enjoy. Join our team and help us ensure they are
here for the next 100 years.

Friends believes in providing the opportunity to invest in our mission by
demonstrating to others that we are an organization that gets things done
with our staff, board, volunteers and partners. We are at a pivotal point
in our development as our budget, staff and board have grown and we are
solidifying a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.

*Operating Budget*: $1,500,000

*Summary*

Working with the President, the Development Director will shepherd the
further integration of a culture of philanthropy into this growing and
dynamic organization. The core work for our new Development Director will
be to ensure the development and cultivation of relationships with donors
at all levels, as well as ensuring all board, staff and volunteers are
involved with this work. The Director will have the opportunity to tap the
potential in an excellent development function, growing a best-practices
program and a large, loyal, generous base of supporters of all kinds.

*Responsibilities *

* *

·        Lead and grow organization’s culture of development to ensure long
lasting, impactful and quality relationships with its supporters

·        Execute Friends of the Forest Preserves fundraising plan and
update it annually

·        Focus on major gifts, sponsorships and donor-directed project
funding from individuals and corporations

·        Guide President, Board, staff and volunteers in executing
strategies for relationship development and cultivation

·        Execute excellent stewardship strategies for all levels of donor

·        Develop analytical reports for fundraising and update on a monthly
basis

·        Supervise the fundraising team: Development Associate and external
contractors in select functions (e.g. event planning and direct marketing)

·        Oversee:

o   event implementation and secure sponsorships

o   proposals and reports for foundation and corporate fundraising

o   use of donor database software, data entry, gift processing and
acknowledgment

* *

*Qualifications *

The successful candidate for the Development Director position at Friends
of the Forest Preserves will be a people person with a passion for plant,
animal and land conservation. They will be a self-motivated team player,
good at motivating people and has a meticulous attention to detail. They
will have a Bachelor’s degree or 5 years in non-profit leadership role
(required) and 5 years experience in development.

This is *not* an entry-level position or a position for someone without
experience in development. Friends of the Forest Preserves believes in
work-life balance; we are here for the marathon, not the sprint (not that
we don’t have to do that once in a while).

*Salary and Benefits*

Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include: 2 weeks of vacation,
10 paid holidays, 2 personal days, 10 sick days; Simple IRA with 3% match
after 1 year; health, dental, short and long-term disability insurance; and
$100,000 of life insurance coverage.

*To apply*

*No calls, faxes or emails (other than emails presenting resume and cover
letter), please.  *

Mail or email resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and three
professional references.

* *

*Mail to:*

Benjamin Cox, President

Friends of the Forest Preserves

542 S. Dearborn St., Suite 400

Chicago, Illinois 60605

benjamin at fotfp.org

*Women, minorities and seniors are strongly encouraged to apply.*

Friends of the Forest Preserves is an equal opportunity employer that
considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color,
religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or
veteran status, or sexual orientation (in addition to observing all legal
protection of special status).

*Description*

* 5.6.2013*