[BCNnet] Wild Things Conference on Feb. 2 at UIC (no sightings)

BFisher928 at aol.com BFisher928 at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 12:42:33 CST 2013

If you've got a passion for birds and bird conservation, and want to  know
what's going on here in northeastern Illinois within the conservation
community, the Wild Things Conference on Saturday February 2 at  the University
of Illinois Chicago campus is the place to be!

Never been to Wild Things? It's a blast, and a major  high! Karen and I
have been to every one; we always come away feeling energized  and enthusiastic
about the great conservation work being done by volunteers and
professionals within our community. Plus, we've learned a lot each time!

Pasted below are some of the various scheduled talks with a bird focus;
birds and bird conservation components are contained in many of the day's
talks, as you'll see when you check out the total schedule.

Google Wild Things 2013 for the link to the conference  website's home
page. Registration closes as of midnight on Sunday January 20, so  it's not too
late to sign up. Don't procrastinate if you're planning to go and  haven't
registered yet.

Hope you can make it!
Regards
Bob Fisher
Downers Grove
DuPage County

10:15 AM Spring vs. Fall Landbird Migration in Chicago: How  are They
Different and Why Does it Matter? - Stotz

11:15 AM Lake Calumet - What Happened? Precipitous Declines  in Endangered
Wetland Birds and How They Might Have Been Avoided - Marcisz

11:15 AM Grassland and Shrubland Birds in the Chicago  Region: Ascertaining
Habitat Quality Through Studies of Habitat Use and Nest  Predation -
Benson, copresenter(s)

1:30 PM Four Decades of Bird Study at Goose Lake Prairie:  What's Changed
and What Have We Learned? - Herkert

2:55 PM Wind Turbines in Lake Michigan; How They Might  Impact Birds -
Fisher

2:55 PM Don't Call me Hedwig: The Great Snowy Owl Irruption  of 2011-12 -
Engel

3:35 PM Endangered Visitors: Whooping Crane Reintroduction  to the Midwest
- Clemency

3:35 PM Climate Change Impacts to Local Phenology and  Migratory Birds -
Stotz, Strang

4:15 PM Lightning Rounds: Birds and Habitat - Ask, Pollock,  Zamirowski,
Zarski