[BCNnet] IBET/BCN.net: Chicago's South Pond Black-crowned Night-heron colony news

Birdchris at aol.com Birdchris at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 10:43:16 CDT 2012

Hello,

I've been in touch with Steve Thompson of LIncoln Park Zoo  about fencing
protection for the most urban nesting colony of Black-crowned  Night-herons
in America.

Steve said the zoo, Chicago Park District and  Illinois Department of
Natural Resources officials have met and have agreed to  fence the nesting colony
again this year to protect the birds from disturbance.  He noted that the
fencing material will be more substantial than in prior years,  although he
is not sure exactly what type will be used yet. The colony will be  monitored
daily by LPZ staff.

I am waiting for an answer about when the fence will be  erected.

Steve will provide final protocols for reporting incidents at  the BCNH
rookery (human or dog disturbance, nestlings that have fallen, etc.)  and I
will post them up to IBET and BCN.net.

If you see problems, please e-mail me (_birdchris at aol.com_
(mailto:birdchris at aol.com) ) or phone me  (773/415-5217) and I will pass concerns along
ASAP.

Birders are asked to stay out of the fenced-in area, which I  think we all
have been doing anyway.

Cross your fingers for mild weather, gentle breezes and lots  of small fish
to insure the success of the 2012 nesting season for Chicago's  BCNH
population.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
_birdchris at aol.com_ (mailto:birdchris at aol.com)