[BCNnet] Jeanne Gang's green deal to build environmental research center wilts

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 12:13:16 CDT 2011

Plan A -the original plan as we know it- involved a lot of money that was
not forthcoming from wherever they hoped it would come.  Remember how much
the economy has changed in the last 7 years.

Plan B (and that's my term; not DOE's) is a scaled down version, presumably
also to be designed by Jeanne Gang's firm. There was no announcement in
January. It is just the answer one would get when one asked DOE about the
environmental center.

It is possible that Studio Gang can come up with something that can be built
in stages as money becomes available. I'm sure the new mayor will attract a
lot of private donors for public projects but there are many competing green
projects, including the Bloomingdale Trail and Northerly Island.

Randi