[BCNnet] Tollway's $12 Billion Capital Plan - Info

Eric Secker esecker at bcnbirds.org
Tue Aug 2 23:23:07 CDT 2011

The Illinois Tollway Authority has released a $12 Billion capital plan
that is proposed to double toll rates in the Chicago area.

Proposals that the bird conservation community should be following include:

* Widening I-90 from 3 to 4 lanes between I-94 and RT. 31 / Elgin Toll
plaza, and 2 to 3 lanes extending west to Rockford
--- Possible issues: encroachment on Trout Park N.P. in Elgin and
effects on Paul Douglas marsh.
--- Studies may include proposals for extensive widening for a bus line
or bus and train lines in the median

* A new I-294 / I-57 interchange
--- Possible issues: will likely affect small parks in the area like
Donnelly Park

* Expansion of the Elgin-O'Hare expressway towards O'Hare airport
--- Possible issues: turning Thorndale Ave. into expressway, and
building new expressway through Elk Grove Village and Bensenville

* Funding for planning studies for the Rt. 53 Corridor and the Illiana
Expressway
--- Possible issues: proposed expressway between I-65 in Indiana and
I-57 or I-55 in Illinois, effecting Will or N. Kankakee Co.
--- Illiana Expressway is rumored to be closely connected with Peotone
Airport plans and supporters.

Details about the plan can be found here:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/TW_CONTENT_REPOSITORY/TW_CR_ROOT/MOVEILLINOIS_FACT%20SHEETS.PDF

Anyone interested in attending public hearings, can find information
about upcoming meetings here:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/TW_CONTENT_REPOSITORY/TW_CR_ROOT/11-07-29%20HEARINGS.PDF

INFORMATION ON INDIVIDUAL STUDIES:

The Illiana Expressway study conducted by INDOT in Indiana can be read here:
http://www.in.gov/indot/files/FR_INDOT_IllianaExprsswy_07-31-2009.pdf

Information about the Elgin-O'Hare Western Bypass can be found here:
http://www.elginohare-westbypass.org/

For other studies, start here:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2944013&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

If anyone hears of other possible bird conservation issues arising from
these proposals, let me know.

Eric Secker
Bird Conservation Network (Kane Co. Rep)