[BCNnet] silent auction, Doug Stotz on Bird Conservation in Peru, 11 Honorees and a good time - join us for CAS Environmental Awards Banquet on 4/30 (sign up by Thursday)

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Mon Apr 25 19:56:51 CDT 2011

We'd love to have a number of you  come to thank and honor those we are giving Environmental Awards to, at The Chicago Audubon Society biennial Awards Banquet on Saturday.

Great speaker, lots of worthy honorees, a silent auction and should be a fun time!     You have until Thursday night to let me know if you'd like to come.

details below, and also at www.chicagoaudubon.org

Thanks in advance,   Alan Anderson, casresearch at comcast.net , CAS Awards Committee

-------------------

Chicago Audubon Society Environmental Awards Banquet

Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 5:30 p.m. cash bar and social time, 6:00 p.m. dinner
Silver Stallion Restaurant
1275 Lee St., Des Plaines, IL
Chicago Audubon will hold its biennial Environmental Awards Banquet on Saturday, April 30, at the Silver Stallion Restaurant in Des Plaines.

 The guest speaker will be Doug Stotz of the Field Museum, who will present a program on the museum's conservation and research efforts in Peru: "Conservation of Peruvian Birds in Amazonian and Andean Forests." Cash bar at 5:30 p.m. and dinner at 6:00 p.m.

The dinner is $30 and entree choices are chicken, salmon or vegetarian.

You may call the Chicago Audubon office to charge the dinners over the phone (773-539-6793), or bring  your check (payable to Chicago Audubon Society), to the restaurant on Saturday night.

Last day to register is Thursday, April 28th.   Please call (847-390-7437) or e-mail (casresearch at comcast.net)    Awards Committee Chairman Alan Anderson before Thursday evening to let us know that you would like to come, and what dinner entree choice you would like.

.

Silent Auction: Thanks to a donation by the City of Chicago Department of Environment and the Chicago Park District, Chicago Audubon has received a dozen handcrafted decorative birdhouses that were entries in the 2010 Tweet Home Chicago c ompetition. These unique birdhouses were designed by professional designers, artists, carpenters and high school students and were showcased at public venues throughout the city. Be sure to sign up at the dinner for your chance to take home a truly Tweet piece of avian real estate! We look forward to seeing you at the Banquet!

We also have a number of (old and new) bird and nature books, and a spotting scope and tripod on our Silent Auction list!

The 2011 Environmental Awards honorees are:

Service to Chicago Area Birders - Paul and Janice Sweet , Illinois Beach Hawkwatch

Protector of the Environment—Educator - Carl Strang , Naturalist with Forest Preserve District of DuPage Co., “WildThings” wildlife news program on WDCB, “Nature Inquiries” blog

Protector of the Environment—Single Act (individual) (3 recipients)
i) Judith Lihota , President, Calumet Ecological Park Association
ii) Annette Prince , Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
iii) Joe Suchecki , Steward and Bird Monitor, Springbrook Prairie

Protector of the Environment—Avocation -  Conrad Fialkowski , Chicago Audubon Society, Save The Prairie Society, Steward (Cook and DuPage Co.), Bird Monitor

Protector of the Environment—Vocation (2 recipients)
i) Gerald Adelmann , Openlands, Canal Corridor Association
ii) Dick Young , Kane County Forest Preserve District (posthumous recognition)

Excellence in Environmental Reporting - Chicago Wildlife News, http://www.chicagowildlifenews.com/

Protector of the Environment—Single Act (group) - No Games Chicago

CAS Good Business Neighbor - De Long Company, Inc. , supplier of high-quality birdseed for our annual CAS Birdseed Sale