[BCNnet] The Final Fight for the Gray Wolf - take action to protect endangered species

Birdchris at aol.com Birdchris at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 20:29:19 CDT 2011

Hi, everyone,

The budget bill which will be voted on this week in Congress contains a
rider that would delist the Gray Wolf, which is - and should stay - on the
Endangered Species list.

Delisting a single endangered species by Congressional action, rather than
based on scientific data through the appropriate process regulated by the
U.S.  Fish & Wildlife Service, creates a dangerous precedent for all species,
 including birds.

If the hunting and ranching lobbies can exert enough influence to  convince
Congress to delist the Gray Wolf, it will not be long before the timber
lobby and other special interest groups get start working on Congressmen to
convince them to delist the Spotted Owl, the Ancient Murrelet, the
Red-cockaded  Woodpecker, Whooping Cranes and other threatened and endangered species.

Birders need to become a stronger special interest group, speaking loudly
and persuasively on behalf of birds.

Please use this easy form to contact your legislators tomorrow. Time is
running out.

Thanks for taking action on behalf of threatened and endangered  wildlife.

Christine Williamson
_birdchris at aol.com_ (mailto:birdchris at aol.com)
Chicago/Cook