[BCNnet] BCN Give Back to Birds - Field Trip and Workday - April 24

pjbruchman at comcast.net pjbruchman at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 07:26:02 CST 2010

Give Back to Birds - Field Trip and Workday

Bartel Grassland, Matteson, southern Cook County

April 24, 2010

8:00am - 9:15am Bird Walk

9:15am - Snack

9:30am - 12:00 Workday

12:00 - Picnic Lunch

The Bird Conservation Network is sponsoring its fourth Give Back to the Birds – Field

Trip/Workday at Bartel Grassland, an Illinois Important Bird Area, located near Matteson in southern Cook County . This grassland and wetland complex has been undergoing continuous habitat improvements over the past eight years. We will enjoy the fruits of this improvement, and help the Bartel Grassland Volunteers to resort more wetland.

Dick Riner and Judy Pollock will lead the birding tour, where we will learn about the project and look for migrating shorebirds and waterfowl in the wetlands as well as early-arriving grassland birds. Last year, 15 species of shorebird including Wilson’s phalarope were sighted around this time of year, as well as Lapland longspurs, and a whooping crane.

After the early morning bird walk, we will enjoy a complimentary snack before we begin to plant sedges in a new wetland. These plugs will spread and form a thick turf that will help to resist the spread of cattails and reed canary grass, which ruin so much wetland habitat locally. We will be using a non-taxing, “no-kneeling” planting method that the Bartel volunteers have perfected over time.

This Saturday trip/workday will take place rain or shine. People of all ages will find a way to help. Waterproof boots are a must – wellies are best – we will be in a wetland. Dress in layers and bring along an extra set of shoes and socks for the ride home, just in case. Bring a sack lunch if you would like to picnic after the workday. Goodies for dessert will be provided!

BCN would like to know how many to plan for. Please RSVP to Joan Bruchman at 847-687- 3108 or pjbruchman at yahoo.com. Also let Joan know if you would like to join a carpool.

Directions to Bartel Grassland: I-57 to Vollmer Road exit. Take Vollmer Road west about a half block to the light at Central. Go north (right) on Central – Bartel Grassland is on your left. At the next stop sign, Flossmoor, turn left and then left again into the parking lot.

Give Back to Birds is a series of “work and birding” trips sponsored by the Bird Conservation Network. The purposes: Fellowship and camaraderie among our bird conservation and birding communities. Helping out some sites that have conservation needs. And seeing some great birds and beautiful places!