[BCNnet] BP June 8, 2010

Carolyn A. Marsh cmarshbird at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 8 11:36:10 CDT 2010

FYI, Carolyn

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/us/08dam.html?hp
Volunteers give up on BP and unified command, and go to work saving their
own coastline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/us/08flow.html?hp

Back in the Gulf ... At least one expert, Ira Leifer, who is part of a
government team charged with estimating the flow rate, is convinced that the
operation has made the leak worse, perhaps far worse than the 20 percent
increase that government officials warned might occur when the riser was
cut.

Dr. Leifer said in an interview on Monday that judging from the video,
cutting the pipe might have led to a several-fold increase in the flow rate
from the well.  "The well pipe clearly is fluxing way more than it did
before," said Dr. Leifer, a researcher at the University of California,
Santa Barbara. "By way more, I don't mean 20 percent, I mean multiple
factors."

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-08/killer-undersea-oil-plumes-from-
bp-spill-lurk-in-gulf-of-mexico.html and
http://www.marsci.uga.edu/directory/mjoye.htm
- Updates on the plumes - and blog by Dr. Samantha Joye, Univ. of Georgia
researcher