[BCNnet] June Breeding Bird Blitzes

bobolnk at ix.netcom.com bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 13 15:45:51 CDT 2009

Do you have a sad, empty feeling now that the Spring Count is over?  Or - on Saturday, were you wishing that you could get the best territory, for a change?  Well, you’re in luck!

Planning is underway for this year’s Breeding Bird Blitz, on Saturdays in June, at preserves around the Chicago Region.  You can attend one – or many.  Experienced birders are needed to lead teams, and all are welcome to join teams.  They promise to be great birding and a lot of fun.

We’ll be scouring some fantastic sites, to learn which birds are present and which parts of the site they are using.  The goal is to count every bird in each of these large preserves.  The information we gather will address conservation issues.  At most sites, we will meet at 7, and split into groups which will each cover a section of the preserve.  We will gather again for lunch around 11 to share findings and stories.

Here are the details – hope you can join us!  Please contact the coordinator to let him or her know you are coming.

Saturday June 6  Cook County North: Paul Douglas
Thursday June 11 Will County: Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie
Saturday June 13  Will County:  Plum Creek Nature Center, Plum Creek Greenway and Goodenow Grove
Saturday June 13    DuPage County: Pratt’s Wayne
Saturday June 13    Lake County:  Lakewood
Saturday June 20  Cook County North: Poplar Creek
Saturday June 20  McHenry County:  Rush Creek
Saturday June 27   Kane County: Prairie Kame

For coordinators name and contact info please click here:
http://www.habitatproject.org/webdocs/events/Blitzflier09.pdf

Judy Pollock
Evanston (Cook) IL