[BCNnet] IBET and BCNnet: No bird sightings, South Pond situation, call LP Zoo security for human sightings

birdchris at aol.com birdchris at aol.com
Wed May 6 14:34:57 CDT 2009

Hi,

Your help is needed to protect Black-crowned Night-herons nesting at South Pond in Lincoln Park in Chicago. If you see someone disturbing the BCNH nesting colony, call the zoo so they can send out security. The phone number is 312 (I think, might be 773) 742-2029 to report disturbance.

I've copied some of the email exchange between myself and Kevin Bell of the Lincoln Park Zoo, below. Mr. Bell's lack of concern and lack of follow through regarding the disturbance of an Illinois state endangered species on a closed work site, managed by the Lincoln Park Zoo, is irresponsible to say the least. Rather than follow up on an eye witness report, he seems to be suggesting that "activists" might have broken into the site. I don't know any "activists" with hip waders, myself.

Sorry to rabble rouse, but this kind of indifference to the nesting success of an endangered species is unconsciousable.

Keep your cell phones charged, IBETters and BCNnetters!

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris at aol.com

Sent May 6 by Kevin Bell:

Neither the contractor nor any of our staff were on the site on Monday the 4th. I also checked with the design firm and the Chicago Park District with the same response. If you hear of this happening again, contact Lizette (my assistant) and she will send security to check it out. The CPD mentioned that they have had incidents like this recently at some of there construction site by activist groups. In this case, I have no idea who these women were. Lizette9s number is 742-2029. If you want to report incidents via email feel free to contact mjohnson at lpzoo.org (Marybeth) as I will be traveling next week and quite a bit over the next few months and will not always have email capability.