[BCNnet] FW: Chicago Wilderness and BP

Carolyn A. Marsh cmarshbird at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 14 15:19:21 CDT 2009

June 14, 2009

Dear friends,

Please circulate and contact Chicago Wilderness regarding BP's corporate
membership.

Carolyn Marsh

June 9, 2009

Melinda Pruett-Jones

cwadmin at chicagowilderness.org

Executive Director

Chicago Wilderness

Dear Ms. Pruett-Jones:

Again, sadly British Petroleum Whiting Refinery in northwest Indiana is in
the headlines for polluting our environment with the release of benzene, a
cancer causing chemical.  One reaction to this latest violation is from 19
members of Congress calling for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to
conduct a comprehensive review of all BP permits.  Another reaction is that
a citizen organization representing residents living near the BP Whiting
Refinery sent a notice of intent to sue BP under EPA guidelines. There are
also four law firms that are challenging the Indiana Department of
Environmental Management's decision to approve the BP air permit that allows
Canadian tar sands to be refined at the plant.

As you know, Michelle Uting, Chicago Wilderness, brought to your attention
on October 17, 2008 that Chicago Audubon Society requested that Chicago
Wilderness remove BP, a corporate council member, from membership because BP
does not uphold the goals and mission of this regional organization.

Michelle indicated we would hear from you, the organization's executive
director or Patricia Cassady, Corporate Council Coordinator, but we are very
disappointed that there was no response to our grave concerns.

Given the current negative BP news, we again urge Chicago Wilderness to
uphold higher standards and confront BP's membership. Since BP contributes
financially to Chicago Wilderness, it is understandable that this request
will be controversial; however, the reputation of the other organizations
that belong to Chicago Wilderness should be considered as well and Chicago
Audubon Society is a member.

Please begin the process to challenge BP's membership in Chicago Wilderness
as BP can no longer be trusted to be concerned about the condition of Lake
Michigan, wildlife, and humans living in the Calumet Region and we believe
they are failing to protect the region's biodiversity.

Sincerely,

Carolyn A. Marsh

Chicago Audubon Society

Whiting, Indiana

Copy: Patricia Cassady

patricia.cassady at chicagowilderness.org

_________________

CONTACT: William Omohundro, 312-353-8254, omohundro.william at epa.gov
 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 09-OPA100

EPA cites BP's Whiting, Ind., refinery for clean-air violations

(Chicago - June 2, 2009) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 has
cited BP Products North America Inc. for alleged Clean Air Act violations at
the company's petroleum refinery at 2815 Indianapolis Blvd., Whiting, Ind.

EPA alleges that for calendar years 2003 through 2008 BP failed to manage
and treat benzene waste from the facility as required by the national
emission standards for hazardous air pollutants.   The facility's 2008
report showed that benzene waste was almost 16 times the amount allowed.

These are preliminary findings of violations.  To resolve them, EPA may
issue a compliance order, assess an administrative penalty or bring suit
against the company in federal court.  BP has 30 days from receipt of the
notice to meet with EPA to discuss resolving the allegations.

Benzene is known to cause cancer in humans.  Acute health effects from
benzene exposure can include dizziness and lightheadedness; eye, nose and
throat irritation; upset stomach and vomiting; irregular heartbeat;
convulsions and death.  Ecological effects include death in exposed animal,
bird and fish populations and death or reduced growth rate in plant life.

Information about EPA Region 5's air enforcement program is at
http://www.epa.gov/region5/air/enforce/index.html.  Potential environmental
violations may be reported at http"//www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints.

###

Chicago Wilderness: http://www.chicagowilderness.org
<http://www.chicagowilderness.org/>

Corporate Council and mission: http://www.chicagowilderness.org/members.php

Congressional leaders call for BP investigation:
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/il10_kirk/Kirk_and_Quigley_BP.html

Chicago Audubon Society: Canadian Tar Sands Oil Development, the
Environmental Nightmare:
http://www.chicagoaudubon.org/pages/2009/vol23_2/compass_vol23-2_2009_web.pd