[BCNnet] Birding Blitzes start this weekend

bobolnk at ix.netcom.com bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 1 14:56:58 CDT 2009

Here's an announcement about the first site-based Birding Blitz of the summer, coming this Saturday - information about others is at http://www.habitatproject.org/webdocs/events/Blitzflier09.pdf.  All are welcome - these events should be a lot of fun.

Please join us for a Bird Blitz at:

Paul Douglas Forest Preserve

Saturday, June 6, 2009

7:00am - 12:30 pm

 Paul Douglas Forest Preserve in northwestern Cook County covers approximately 1800 acres (almost 3 square miles).  It provides a variety of large habitat types.  As a result, grassland, wetland, shrubland, and forest species are all found at this preserve.  Some habitat sensitive species that breed within the preserve are Henslow's Sparrow (grasslands), Yellow-headed Blackbird (wetlands), Yellow-billed Cuckoo (shrublands), and Scarlet Tanager (forest).

 We'll meet in the parking lot off Central Road in Hoffman Estates at 7:00 am.  Stan Stec has birded this area regularly for many years and is very familiar with the preserve.  Unfortunately, recent knee surgery will keep him from participating.  He has, however, mapped out 9 separate areas to be covered within the preserve.

 After signing in during a brief orientation, maps will be handed out, areas assigned, and then we'll all head out to cover our assigned area.  This will be similar to a Christmas Bird Count or Spring Bird Count in that we'll be recording the number of each species seen or heard.  We hope to have at least two people in each group.  We'll meet back at the parking lot by noon to eat while we're recording each group's results.

 You'll need to bring the usual things you bring when going birding: binoculars, field guide, water bottle, sunscreen, insect repellant, hat, and rain gear.  Also, please bring a notebook and pencil to record results and a lunch and beverage.  I'll have a few extra notebooks and pencils on hand.  Ticks are common at Paul Douglas, so spraying pant legs with insect repellant is important.  I'll also bring extra insect repellant and sunscreen.  Be sure to wear sturdy shoes and long pants.  I may bring some peanut butter, bread, and pop in case anyone forgets to bring lunch.  If you're short on time, you can leave as soon as your results are reported (or someone else in your group can report).  If you can hang around though, I think hearing all the reports will be a highlight of the morning.

 I'll e-mail the results to all the participants within a few days of the Blitz.

 I would like to get an idea how many to expect, so if you think you will be participating, please respond.  If you aren't sure, but want to be kept updated on any changes, please respond.  Even if you don't respond, but find you have the morning free, you can also just show up on June 6.

If you have any questions, respond to this e-mail or call me at  847-358-5856  (evenings between 7 and 9).

Duane Heaton

Palatine, IL