[BCNnet] BCNet: Need assistance with info on eagles, cranes and Henslow's

Birdchris at aol.com Birdchris at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 21:52:20 CST 2009

Hi,

I'm developing a position for Sierra Club on proposals by the Illinois
Endangered Species Board to remove the Bald Eagle, Henslow's Sparrow and  Sandhill
Crane from the state Threatened Species list. The hearing is in  Springfield
on Jan. 23. Information, including the Board's reasons for  de-listing these
species is included at the web site listed in the meeting  announcement below.

Essentially, the Endangered Species Board says these three species are
stable and thriving and should be removed from the Threatened list. If they are
removed, they will lose the special protections they get now to increase the
species' numbers. The Board will not provide the evidence they said was used by
the Endangered Species Techincal Advisory Committee on birds to review the
status of these three species. I can't find anything online about the
background  data.

My emotions and intuition tell me that this is bad move by the Endangered
Species Board, but I need scientific proof one way or the other. Geoff and I
have been poring over Bohlen's Birds of Illinois, the latest Illinois Breeding
Bird Atlas, Ridgeway for historical context, Birds of North America, and
Meadowlark sightings.

If you have other sources, personal expertise or know someone who can help,
please get in touch ASAP. I would like to have my comments ready by Friday or
Saturday.

Thanks very much in advance,
Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
_birdchris at aol.com_ (mailto:birdchris at aol.com)

Interested  Parties
The Illinois  Endangered Species Protection Board (ESPB) will hold a public
hearing at noon on  January 23, 2009 at the Illinois Department of Natural
Resouces (IDNR)  headquarters to take public comment on proposed changes to the
Illinois List of  Threatened and Endangered Species resulting from the required
5-year  review.   Information about the public hearing can be viewed at the
ESPB webpage on the IDNR website at _http://www.dnr.state.il.us/espb/index.htm_
(http://www.dnr.state.il.us/espb/index.htm)  .
Additional  information currently available on the ESPB webpage includes the
current List of  Treatened and Endangered Species that was approved in 2004
and a notice for  calendar year 2009 meetings.  For ease of reference, the ESPB
also plans to  post meeting agendas and minutes to the site sometime in the
near future.   Please note that the ESPB has been without staff for some time
and currently is  operating with reduced staffing, so we ask for your patience
as we address  updates to the webpage and respond to queries for other
information.
Thank  you.
Anne  Mankowski
Director
Illinois Endangered Species Protection  Board
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL  62702-1271
phone:   (217) 785-8687
fax:  (217)  785-2438