[BCNnet] Mother Nature Network - CBCM Story online

Carolyn A. Marsh cmarshbird at prodigy.net
Mon Aug 24 13:17:24 CDT 2009

Bird, interrupted

By  <http://www.mnn.com/users/dbaratta> Divina Baratta, Student
Correspondent

Wed, Aug 05 2009 at 10:17 PM EST

The Chicago Loop can be a nightmare at rush hour. And apparently it's no
picnic during migration season either. Just ask a little bird.

Tens of thousands of species like this blue-winged warbler will head through
town this month on their way to warmer climes. Though many of them won't
make it very far.

Birds tend to migrate at night, possibly using the stars or magnetic fields
as their guide. We have yet to gain a complete understanding of how it
happens. But what we do know is that bright lights from skyscrapers seem to
throw them off. Like moths to a flame, birds are drawn to the light and
either end up striking building windows in confusion or circle the lights to
the point of exhaustion.

Luckily, with help from volunteers and major cooperation from city-wide
building managers, the future is looking a lot brighter. Or, in this case,
beautifully darker. [CLICK ON FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE WITH PICTURES]

http://www.mnn.com/local-reports/illinois/student-blog/bird-interrupted#comm
ent-6605