[BCNnet] Des Plaines River trail - latest article: "Federal Grant Helps Pave Way to Improved Trails"

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 23:57:53 CDT 2008

Below is the latest article (from this past Friday) from Des Plaines Journal, regarding the River Trail.   The article notes "the possibility of a horseback riding trail" (that's what would make the trail 22 feet wide, rather than just 12 feet).    Hope we can keep it to the less wide trail ...

Last week I went to part of the forest preserve trail through Campground Road Woods, to take measurements of the current trail (at 10 points randomly selected).     The trail width currently ranges from 7 to 13 feet (liberal range ... as edges of trail aren't really ridable as they are filled with ruts and hills).    I also took measurements across the trail from tree to tree at those spots.    It ranged from 12 feet to a maximum of one point where is was 22 feet from tree to tree, but most locations it was 13 to 15 feet.

Althought I didn't count the trees that would be needed to be removed in any section yet (I suppose I could check a random marked off 22 ft wide x 10 foot length area and count all trees in that area ... for extrapolation purposes), a trail of 22 feet wide would certainly cause many trees to be removed, some up to 2 1/2 foot in diameter or more.   Benjamin Cox, of Friends of the Forest Preserves, is going to visit the area with me soon, so he can have a better idea of the situation.     Hopefully the trail can be kept to 12 feet wide ...   Alan

http://www.journal-topics.com/dp/08/dp080328.6.html

THE JOURNAL & TOPICS NEWSPAPERS | FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 2008
Federal Grant Helps Pave Way To Improved Trails
By TROY BRUZEWSKI
Journal Reporter
Improvements to the Des Plaines River Trail between Golf Road and Touhy Avenue could be completed by the end of 2009.
Des Plaines received a federal Congestion Mitigation for Air Quality grant in the amount of $1,048,000 for the improvements, which are components of the Des Plaines Riverwalk project. The money will be used for amenities like signs, lighting and clearing brush and trees. City Engineer Tim Oakley said the grant program is an effort to try and lower emissions from vehicles.
"It focuses on alternative modes for transportation," Oakley said. "Trying to get people out of their cars and using other forms of transportation like walking or riding a bike." Des Plaines will pay $209,600 in matching funds.
The trail segments lie within the jurisdiction of the Forest Preserve Dist. of Cook County (FPDCC), which recently approved an intergovernmental agreement with Des Plaines for the project.
"We looked at what it would take to improve the trail systems throughout Des Plaines," Oakley said. "We are going to improve the trail, so it can be multi-purpose. Right now it's dirt and mud with a few trees that fell down and are blocking the path."
Other improvements include a crushed limestone surface suitable for running or bicycling, and the possibility of having a horseback-riding path along side.
After receiving permission from the FPDCC earlier this month, the city's next step is accepting bids for consultative services on design and civil engineering.
Oakley said his office currently is reviewing submitted bids and should be making a recommendation to City Council in April.
The project could be completed by the end of 2009. Oakley said.
"Because these are federal funds, there are a lot of requirements for the grant, which is administered by IDOT (Illinois Dept. of Transportation," Oakley said. "It's usually a 12-month process, but after that we get a bidder awarded and it will be about a year to complete. A full construction year in 2009 will get it done."
After completion, the trail will be maintained by the forest preserve district.

--
Alan B. Anderson
casresearch at comcast.net
Des Plaines, Cook Co.