[BCNnet] article: Des Plaines, County FPD near deal to improve Riverwalk Paths, more

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Fri Feb 15 22:49:37 CST 2008

FYI, see below on the latest re: the trail improvements proposed for areas through east of Axehead Lake, Iroquois Woods, Campground Road Woods, Northwestern Woods and other areas.

As I use those trails myself, I can understand why they could use some improvement (although I prefer the solitude I find on the trails as they are currently).

Other things that have been proposed by Mayor Arredia for the Riverwalk need a bit more discussion though.    I don't fully understand all 'he' wants to do, but some things in the papers seem to indicate major work along the river itself including removal of vegetation (I prefer 'wilder', and not grassy banks, as I suppose most of you do), and of course the 'special lighting' seems more apropro for a city park rather than a forest preserve.    Just mentioning this so it can generate more research and discussion.

Here is the latest:

http://www.journal-topics.com/dp/08/dp080213.2.html

THE JOURNAL & TOPICS NEWSPAPERS | WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2008
City, County Near Deal To Improve Riverwalk Paths
Members of the Cook County Board appear to be strongly supportive of a plan by Des Plaines to improve a three-mile pathway that will become part of Mayor Tony Arredia's Riverwalk.
Arredia and City Engineer Tim Oakley attended a County Board meeting in downtown Chicago last week where commissioners unanimously approved negotiating with the city to compose an intergovernmental agreement. That agreement, which could formally be approved by the county in March, would allow Des Plaines to go on Cook County Forest Preserve Dist. land in Des Plaines to improve an existing pathway. That path, which currently is in disrepair, stretches from Golf Road on the north to Touhy Avenue on the south. The agreement would permit the city to replace what is now dirt and mud with a fine stone surface as well as remove overgrowth and tree trunks that have fallen over the years. Not only would people be able to hike and bike on the trail, but also ride horses.
The improvements will be paid for by a $1 million federal grant secured by the city as well as another $250,000 matching sum from Des Plaines. The city has also applied for a $300,000 state grant.
"We've already worked out the language," said Oakley of the proposed intergovernmental agreement with the county.
Because of detailed federal requirements to secure the $1 million grant, work may not begin for 18 months, said Oakley.
"We're trying to rush it through," he added.
The improved trail is expected to become part of the new Des Plaines Riverwalk that will be located along much of the local waterway. Plans include positioning wayfinding signs along he trail as well as kiosks and special lighting.

--
Alan B. Anderson
casresearch at comcast.net
Chicago Audubon Society