[BCNnet] Great Texas/American birding areas & The Wall (s)

Geoffrey Williamson williamson at iit.edu
Mon Apr 21 10:08:20 CDT 2008

The message below was sent by Steve Bailey
(sdbailey at mail.inhs.uiuc.edu) to BCNNet on 7 Apr 2008, but it didn't
manage to be posted to the list.
  - G. Williamson

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:43:59 -0500
To: BCN Net
From: Steve Bailey <sdbailey at mail.inhs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Great Texas/American birding areas & The Wall (s)

Hello all,
Hopefully this fits within the rules of BCN.   After Sheryl DeVore
having just returned from a very enjoyable Rio Grande Valley birding
trip a
few weeks ago, I am extremely saddened, shocked and dismayed at many
of the plans for a wall (actually a double-wall), that apparently is
to be built through some of the United States best and most visited
birding locations, very soon. There may not be anything that we can do
at this
point, but letters, phone calls and/or e-mails are appropriate from
the many Illinois birders I know who bird this area. I check the sign-
in sheets at many of these places and there are always several
Illinois birders names when I do. I strongly encourage folks to at
least read several of the posts currently accessible on the Texas
birding listserve
( http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/TEXS.html ) involving the
severe affects that will be had on places like Salineno, Sabal Palm
Grove, Santa Margarita Ranch, Santa Ana NWR and many other areas near
the Rio Grande River. To me it seems pretty amazing about the
destruction that will be wrought on some of these areas!
        To me, especially from reading posts on the Texas birdlist,
this issue could really benefit from the input from folks from out of
the state of Texas speaking out about how important the Rio Grande
Valley birding areas are to them.  I will likely dump my membership in
the ABA if I find no active role from them on this topic.  After all,
if the birding community has no role in helping concerning this topic,
then who?!  Although there are other issues concerning this topic,
other parties, not knowing all of the stakes involved in this project,
will likely opt for putting up the wall(s).

Steve Bailey
Rantoul (Champaign Co)
sdbailey at mail.inhs.uiuc.edu