[BCNnet] invitation to bird Fort Sheridan

bobolnk at ix.netcom.com bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 5 16:33:34 CDT 2007

Openlands Project is looking for birders who can give them information on Fort Sheridan in Lake County.  This is a beautiful area of lakefont ravines with excellent landbird migration.  They have planned three birding trips there this fall - all are invited.  Also, they would be happy to get checklists of birds from Fort Sheridan from those who have birded there.  Information is below - contact me or Glenda Daniel if you would like to be involved.

Judy Pollock
jpollock at audubon.org
Evanston (Cook) IL

Hi, everyone...

Openlands has recently taken title to 77 acres of Lake Michigan shore and ravines on former military property at Fort Sheridan in Lake County, which we plan to manage as a nature preserve.  The site is currently closed while we begin bluff repair and restoration, but we would like to make an exception for birders and begin to work with all of you to build a bird checklist there for all seasons as well as, eventually, a breeding bird census. I am proposing to lead bird walks down Bartlett Ravine (on a paved road but closed to vehicles) and along the shore on three separate mornings this fall--Sunday, Sept. 9, Sunday, Sept. 16, and Saturday, Oct. 6.  We will meet at the parking lot at the top of Bartlett Ravine at 6:30 a.m. on the first two dates and at 7 a.m. on the third, and I would like to invite (no, make that beg) as many of you as possible to join me on those dates.  Please email Judy Pollock and/or me if you are a) interested and able to come on any or all of the dates noted above and b) interested in the overall project but not able to come on those dates.  After you respond, I will send you a map and directions for getting to the top of Bartlett Ravine (a bit difficult to find without directions)  and also a name tag identifying you as an Openlands Volunteer in case you are questioned on these dates or any others subsequently by the Highwood and other local police officers who are helping us patrol the site.  If any of you have birded Bartlett Ravine or this stretch of shore in the past, we would also greatly appreciate getting copies of any checklists you already have.

Thanks much.  I look forward to hearing from you.  This is a beautiful site worth preserving.  I will also plan to bring along our site design for an eventual trail system, etc. for anyone who would like to look at it.

Glenda Daniel

Openlands

Education and Community Outreach Director

25 E. Washington, Suite 1650

Chicago, IL 60602

312/863-6255

gdaniel at openlands.org