[BCNnet] Montrose Beach Dunes news (no sightings)

birdperson at juno.com birdperson at juno.com
Fri May 4 00:17:10 CDT 2007

Bird People:

As the weather turns warm this beautiful spring and the dunes come to life, we have much to celebrate.  In late December, the Chicago Park District was awarded a state C2000 grant for restoration work at Montrose Beach Dunes.  The C2000 (Conservation 2000) is a large grant from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources for conservation work that protects, preserves, and enhances the biodiversity and natural heritage of Illinois.  It is the first time the Chicago Park District has received such a grant for one of its natural areas.

The C2000 is a two-year grant that will cover major invasives work at the dunes, targeting mainly Salix interior (Sandbar Willow), the shrubby willow species overtaking much of the habitat; a stabilization planting on the upper beach; updated interpretive signage; and a new dune protection fence.  We are very excited about the grant and it is going to make a huge, positive difference in the future health and viability of the dunes and its unique flora and fauna.

Another great piece of news is that in March, the Park District and City approved the addition of one more acre of beach to Montrose Beach Dunes.  The new area is just west of the old dune protection fence and includes shoreline and potential panne habitat (a panne is a wet depression in a dune swale system; pannes are globally imperiled worldwide and according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, there are fewer than 200 acres left).  Plants have been emerging in this area for the past two years because the sailboat owners started parking their boats there, which prevented the beach grooming machines from raking and destroying the vegetation.  The boats will be moved west and a new dune protection fence has been installed farther west to enclose the area.  This increases the size of the dune habitat to approximately 10.25 acres.

In response to Eric's questions, there is a gap in the new dune protection fence in an east-west orientation because this minimizes sand accumulation and the formation of artificial dunes.  In general, fencing on beaches that is parallel to the shoreline interferes with natural sand movement and dune geology because ridges and swales tend to develop parallel to the shoreline.  Regulatory signage will be installed along the fence opening to deter wayward dog owners and other inappropriate users.  Birders may recall that in the past, the entire western half of the dunes was open, so the new fencing actually provides quite a bit more protection as well as a big chunk of new habitat for migratory and nesting birds and native plant species.  The parallel fence on the upper beach is not permanent; one section is the new fencing, and the old section will soon be removed.

As Jill mentioned, you should feel free to call Park District Security (312-747-2193 or 4) and/or the Chicago Police at 911 if you witness dog violations in the habitat.  Our local hero, Officer Heger, works out of the 23rd police precinct (312-744-8320).  The precinct says it's best to call 911 and they will dispatch someone immediately - hopefully Heger with his nightstick.

It is thrilling and gratifying that on Montrose Beach, Chicago's largest public beach, despite huge pressures of active recreation and coastal development, the Park District and City have decided to set aside MORE land for bird and plant habitat and the preservation of our state's rich biodiversity.  Please take the time to thank to our hard-working public officials, especially Zhanna Yermakov, the Park District's new Natural Areas Manager, whose enthusiasm and vision was key in getting the new acre of beach set aside and protected.

Please email me privately with questions or if you would more information about Montrose Beach Dunes.  Meanwhile, here's to relocating that Piping Plover tomorrow, and to more great spring birding!

Leslie Borns
Site Steward, Montrose Beach Dunes
Chicago/Cook
birdperson at juno.com