[BCNnet] Doug Stotz to speak, and 10 individuals honored, at Environmental Awards Banquet, April 14

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 13:52:07 CDT 2007

The Chicago Audubon Society is honoring ten individuals/groups (see below) for their work and service in nature and bird conservation at our bi-annual CAS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARDS BANQUET on the evening of Saturday, April 14th.

The always exciting and entertaining evening is open to everyone interested in birds and birding, conservation and protection of the environment.

Featured speaker at this year’s Awards Banquet will be Douglas Stotz, distinquished Ornithologist at Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.    Doug's topic is "Changes in our Avifauna Over Time", discussing how bird species have fluctuated in abundance and distribution over the years in northeast Illinois.   Doug will also cover some of the reasons for this fluctuation, and some of the hazards bird populations have faced over the years, now and in the future.

Remember, you don’t have to be a CAS member to attend this fun event! All interested in nature are welcome to the casual dinner to be held at the Silver Stallion Restaurant, 1275 Lee/Mannheim Road in Des Plaines, Illinois (just south of Algonquin Road).

To sign up for the banquet (or for more info), contact me via email at  casresearch at comcast.net or phone at 847-390-7437.    Dinner details can be found at http://www.chicagoaudubon.org/pages/2007/vol21_1/environmentalAwards.shtml

The ten award recipients (and categories for which they are honored) for 2007 are as follows:

1)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT – EDUCATOR
John Banaszak, Save the Prairie Society

2)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT - POLITICAL SERVICE
Larry Suffredin, Cook County Commissioner (13th District), [Forest Preserves Board]

3)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT - SINGLE ACT (INDIVIDUAL) AVOCATION
Lee Ramsey - BCN E-Bird

4)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT - SINGLE ACT (INDIVIDUAL) VOCATION
Eric Secker – ‘Habitat Project’ Bird Population Trends

5)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT - SINGLE ACT (GROUP)
Willowbrook Wildlife Center, DuPage County Forest Preserve District

6)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT – AVOCATION
Jerry Garden – Chicago Audubon Society

7)   PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT – VOCATION
David Willard, Field Museum of Natural History, Collections Manager-Bird Division

8)   SERVICE TO CHICAGO AREA BIRDERS
Urs Geiser - DuPage Bird Club

9)    FIRST FRIEND OF CHICAGO AUDUBON
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans (helping with Skokie Lagoons restoration)

10)  CAS GOOD BUSINESS NEIGHBOR
Eagle Optics

*For detailed information on each award recipient go to http://www.chicagoaudubon.org/pages/2007/vol21_2/cas_award_winners.shtml or     www.chicagoaudubon.org and click on the link to the article about the Award Recipients

Banquet Details: ($30)
Reception & Cash Bar: 5:30pm to 6:30pm
Dinner: 6:30pm
Presentation of Awards
Program: Douglas Stotz - "Changes in our Avifauna Across Time"
Events to conclude by 9:00pm

--
Alan B. Anderson
casresearch at comcast.net